Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vss or tranny?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 08:42 PM
Default vss or tranny?

Hi guys first post here,
I recently got a 94 civic ex 5-speed from my cousin.I have been trying to track down a problem with the vss and found out that the speedo started acting up after she had the tranny replaced.I can go about 5 or 10 miles before it moves and then it will jump up to speed for awhile then it starts to jump around wildly.I have already replaced the vss sensor and checked the connections,now I'm lost.
Any ideas will be appreciated.Thanks, Redd

Old 02-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Default RE: vss or tranny?

my car did that for a while, i replaced the cable. you have an electronic vss probably so it could be the speeo drive gear in the trans

Old 02-07-2006, 06:26 PM

thats what Im starting to think.thanks for the help.

Old 02-07-2006, 07:01 PM
HCF Member

check your cable at both ends, it may not be inserted all the way

Old 02-07-2006, 09:36 PM
HCF Member

The speedo drive gear in the tranny is plastic. If the edges are worn on the gear it will start acting up. It is easily accessible after you split the case. You will have to remove the differential bearing, Speedometer gear is under it. Cant miss it only plastic gear there. It is almost to much trouble if all your having is speedometer problems. I wouldnt pull tranny just for that. Unless your bored and then you could go ahead and do an overhaul while your in it.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:43 PM
HCF Member

i had almost the same problem a while back with my 95 4dr......my problem was the connection on the clip which clips onto the vss had become corroded, you may want to check that.

Old 02-08-2006, 02:09 PM

my speedometer doesnt work either. it started to work and jump around b4 i changed the tranny out. but after i go it back it didnt work at all. I just ignore it tho, according to the transmission i am not putting miles on my car. so i can sell it almost at what i got it for. I would say to just unplug the sensor and don't worry about it. It will threow a CEL tho. that might get annoying after a while.
here's how i know how fast i am going.

in fifth gear @2300RPM i am doing 55MPH
" " " 2500RPM " " 60MPH
" " " " 3500RPM " " 85MPH

if you have the VTEC engine it shoulkd be about the same. and if you really want to know

In fifth gear @ 4500RPM I am doing 125MPH

I wouldn't suggest doing it tho.

In fifth gear @ 5900RPM I am doing 149MPH.

In fifth gear @ 6800RPM. I am supposed to be doing 168MPH.
however i have not tried it and am not likely to do it.

I know about the 149 b/c i raced a 240Sx and kept with him the whole way nose and nose. and he told me how fast we were going. It was a rush.
i wouldn't try it tho.

Old 02-08-2006, 02:19 PM

ORIGINAL: 95CIVICUS

I know about the 149 b/c i raced a 240Sx and kept with him the whole way nose and nose. and he told me how fast we were going. It was a rush.
i wouldn't try it tho.

what is done to your engine for us to believe that?

Old 02-08-2006, 02:46 PM

not much. just CAI, HONDATA, advanced timing, MSD igninton, HOtter plugs, MEgan headers and catback, I need a new coil tho, i really don't think it was what is done to my engine but what was wrong with his, i have no idea what he had in there but obviously he some thing limiting him or maybe he was taunting me. i dunno. all i know is i don';t ever want to go that fast again. it scared the hell outta me.

Old 02-08-2006, 02:54 PM

i don't believe 149 at all, a CTR topped at 146 and that is with 200hp

Quick Reply: vss or tranny?