Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Vtec didn't kick in?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 01:57 PM
HCF Member
Default Vtec didn't kick in?

Vtec didn't kick in? I know that it kicks in at 3,000 rpm. I was on the high way in 5th gear under 3,000rpm going maby 69mph, in the fast lane. A VW past me in the slow lane, and he wanted to drag . So i down shift to 4th and i wasint pulling and i didnt feel the vtec kick in and i was staying at i think 4,500 rpms. I stayd about a half car lenght behind him keeping up for about a mile. It felt like if i was in 3rd at 2,000rpm then shift to 4th and jam on the gas.. I knwo that it pulls when im in 5th and vtec kicks in but from 5th to 4th and going 69mph i should have felt something? I maby i should have gone down to third? but i think that would break somthing from 69mph?

Old 02-12-2009, 02:03 PM
HCF Member

depending on what motor you have it varies my vtec is about 5,000 RPMS if you can hit 5000 rpms and it doesnt kick on might be a bad air intake temp sensor, car wont go vtec if its bad.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Ummm... wow. That pretty much sums up how I feel about this thread right now.

First off, I've never seen an engine with the vtec engagement as low as 3k; z6's and y8's it engages at 4800rpm, and I believe it's around 5500rpm for most b-series. Second, you have a single cam; you won't hear, nor will you feel the vtec engagement. Actually, on any engine, if you feel the vtec engage, something's wrong; vtec engagement is meant to be a smooth transition.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:09 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Cyphen
depending on what motor you have it varies my vtec is about 5,000 RPMS if you can hit 5000 rpms and it doesnt kick on might be a bad air intake temp sensor, car wont go vtec if its bad.
mmm i do have an after market short intake,and the intake temp sensor is that thing that sticks in it. . I have vtec-e. Maby that has somthing to do with it. My vtec works fine thos, maby ill try it agian when im in vtch with 5th to 4th.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:11 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by reaper2022
Ummm... wow. That pretty much sums up how I feel about this thread right now.

First off, I've never seen an engine with the vtec engagement as low as 3k; z6's and y8's it engages at 4800rpm, and I believe it's around 5500rpm for most b-series. Second, you have a single cam; you won't hear, nor will you feel the vtec engagement. Actually, on any engine, if you feel the vtec engage, something's wrong; vtec engagement is meant to be a smooth transition.
when i go above 3000 it tugs and pulls hard, when hard on the gas, but it is smooth if i want it to be.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:12 PM

that's why guys, VTEC-E is around 3000 RPM

Old 02-12-2009, 02:14 PM
HCF Member

lmao Vtec-e is for fuel economy haha not for more hp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-VTEC

Honda's next version of VTEC, VTEC-E, was used in a slightly different way; instead of optimising performance at high RPM, it was used to increase efficiency at low RPM. At low RPM, one of the two intake valves is only allowed to open a very small amount, increasing the fuel/air atomization in the cylinder and thus allowing a leaner mixture to be used. As the engine's speed increases, both valves are needed to supply sufficient mixture. A sliding pin, which is pressured by oil, as in the regular VTEC, is used to connect both valves together and allows the full opening of the second valve.

I hear my Vtec all the time but then again I have an aftermarket exhaust, cat, and header.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Super Cereal Admin

pshh... vtec-e. Anyway, how's your oil pressure? If the oil pressure isn't high enough, vtec won't engage.

*edit: Also, stein, the sohc's where you can hear vtec engage are few and far between; with the radio muted and windows down, you could just ever-so-faintly hear it in my old ej1. When I say you won't hear it, I'm comparing it to the twin cams where vtec screams, and consequently everyone assumes vtec on every engine sounds like it.

Last edited by reaper2022; 02-12-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:18 PM
HCF Member

yes im right about 3000. here read the 3rd post, i think this guys says its alomost the same as ex, and the hx in some ways is better than ex..

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/t477905.html

Old 02-12-2009, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by xsteinbachx
lmao Vtec-e is for fuel economy haha not for more hp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-VTEC

Honda's next version of VTEC, VTEC-E, was used in a slightly different way; instead of optimising performance at high RPM, it was used to increase efficiency at low RPM. At low RPM, one of the two intake valves is only allowed to open a very small amount, increasing the fuel/air atomization in the cylinder and thus allowing a leaner mixture to be used. As the engine's speed increases, both valves are needed to supply sufficient mixture. A sliding pin, which is pressured by oil, as in the regular VTEC, is used to connect both valves together and allows the full opening of the second valve.
It's actually for both performance and gas mileage... just more focused on gas mileage.
If you disagree, then explain why the D16Y7 has less horsepower when pretty much the only difference is one has VTEC-E and the other is non-VTEC.

Originally Posted by reaper2022
z6 is 4800, y8 is somewhere between 5000 and 5500, and b16a2 is 5500

and you can hear it on a single cam, just not as good. but yea, you should never feel a jerk motion from VTEC.

OP: perhaps VTEC is engaging.
If you're sure it's not, check your oil level. Low oil will keep VTEC from engaging.

and no, it's not as good as the D16Y8's VTEC. The only real difference between the two engines is the VTEC assembly, the cam, and the ECU. D16Y8 has 127hp, D16Y5 has like 112hp.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 02-12-2009 at 02:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Vtec didn't kick in?