Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

water on passenger floor

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:51 AM
Default water on passenger floor

03 civic lx, I can hear water gurgling and it is dripping on passenger floor, when making left turns with a/c turned on. A/C and heat work fine, drain tube underneath looks intact. My first thought was heater core but, does not appear to be any coolant loss and the water on the floor is not coolant. Could drain tube inside be disconnected or broken? I couldn't find anything close in the forums.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 09-30-2007, 10:01 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: water on passenger floor

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding! We have a winner. Sounds like the drain line is disconnected inside the evaporator.

Have fun with that. ;-)

Old 09-30-2007, 10:26 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The tubes can get clogged, leading to water sloshing around until it spills out somewhere inside the car. On the older models you can slip the tube off of its nipple on the evaporator box (expect a lot of water to come out then) then go under the hood and pull the tube out of the car and clean it out. Not sure how the '03 is put together though.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:11 PM
MV

I have the same problem with my 2007 Civic sedan (only two months old and bought in Canada). Just today I discovered that the rubber mat was developing what seems to be fungus due to humidity trapped between it and the fabric mat (a poor excuse of a mat provided by Honda). Couldn't believe my eyes. Once the mats were removed, I pressed my palm into the floor carpet, and surely enough my hand was wet. It sounds like I may have the same problem, i.e. disconnected drain line leaking into the car cabin. Thanks for your input guys.

Old 10-12-2007, 08:14 AM

Where is the drain line on a civic 93? Me too I have water on my passenger side of the car...I'm sure it's not coolant it didn't smell coolant.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:20 AM
Recognized HCF Member

On a '93, locate the evaporator box it is pretty much in front of (behind) the center of the glove box. No need to remove the glove box, just look underneath. Note that the bottom of the evaporator box is sort of a "V" shape funneling the condensed water toward the firewall. Right at the bottom of this V is where the drain tube connects.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:41 AM
MV
Default UPDATE on water on passenger floor

Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd update you on my situation and, if you know anyone with a 2007 Civic (perhaps even applies to earlier models) made in Canada, please pass on this info. It's an urgent matter which needs to be resolved immediately.

The service rep at the Honda dealership told me that during the assembly of the car, a sealant/caulking wasn't applied properly (whether it was human or robotic error, who knows?) between two welding points and, as a result, water was leaking into the cabin.

Spread the word guys. Power to the people!

Old 05-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Default RE: UPDATE on water on passenger floor

Mel - my son has a '98 Civic and your suggestion was spot on. Thanks!!