Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Water in trunk solved!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 07:14 PM
HCF Member
Default Water in trunk solved!

Okay about a month ago I had water in my spare tire area in the trunk. This was fixed at the dealer last year when they applied trunk sealant to the edges around the trunk. So I took it back to the dealer and they applied more. Took care of it a little better but still getting water in just not as much.

So I got mad and just started troubleshooting myself. Took everything out of the trunk including lining. Then I sprayed water starting from the ground up on the back of my car. made it to the roof and no water in the trunk. WTF!! So since this is a 1996 civic ex sedan I sprayed it on the sunroof.

What do you know I have water in the trunk now. Coming down from both drains in the trunk. Finally found the source. Went to look at the sunroof and saw that one side had one more shim than the other side. WTF! ( had to car since it was new and never had any sunroof work done to it ) so I bought a shim at the honda dealer (of course it had to be ordered cause we don't want the expense of having a parts inventory) so I got it and installed on the side that was short so now we are even and time for the test. Left the hose running on the sunroof for a good 20 to 30 minutes. Dam still had water but not very much at all. So dried everything off and left water running on the sunroof. Saw the rubber valves that the drains attach to so they can go through the quarter panels were seeping. WTF!! I blew them out so they were clean but yet they were still seeping dam water.

Okay just about at my wits end with this thing and putting a for sale sign on the back is starting to cross my mind. So I gave it one more shot and ordered two valves for the sunroof drain on both sides ( 3.00 dollars each).
Had to wait like a week in a half cause I guess they were bringing them by boat from Japan.

I installed them and they were actually kind of hard to install. They were kind of tricky to get the lip on the quarter panel but after a little bit I got them installed. Time for the test turned the water with the for sale sign in my hand and left it running on the sun roof for 20 to 30 minutes.

Came back and looked in the trunk and guess what - bone dry!!! Yahoo!!! Put the for sale sign back for now and decided to wait for a couple of rain storms. Well this week we had a few downpours and guess what - bone dry again!!! Yipeeeeee! Finally put the trunk back together today lining and all and hopefully this will be the last of the water.

For good measure I went to the auto store and bought trunk seam sealer for myself and went over everything the dealer did myself just to be sure.

I just thought I would share my little escapade with you folks so maybe it would cut down on time if someone else has this problem. I did compare the new valves for the drains to the old ones and the new rubber is almost like suction cup material and the old valves were hard so I am sure that has something to do with seepage. I bet the new ones probably cause some kind of suction to semi pump the water out of the sunroof and the old ones just were not doing what they were suppose to.

My only question is where do the front ones go and are they as easy to get to as the rear ones. I guess as long as the front carpets are dry and I have no leaks any where I will leave what isn't broke alone.

Anyway I hope this helps someone and if not at least I got to tell this little story for what it is worth.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:39 PM

Im having this problem with my 92 eg and i just finished spraying sealent in my trunk so i hope this stops the leak.. i may end up buying some trunk seam sealer as well cuzz that sounds like good indea as well soo thanks for the insight