Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weird sound from engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 01:58 AM
HCF Member
Default weird sound from engine

My 95 5 speed civic has started to make a weird sound when I start it cold. Its a loud EEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee that will go away after driving for about 5 or 10 minutes. Any ideas what this is?

Old 03-26-2008, 06:19 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: weird sound from engine

If it sounds almost like squealing tires, that's probably a loose alternator belt. Could also be the air conditioner belt; if it is that it won't do it with the A/C off.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:55 AM
HCF Member

No it doesn't sound like a squealing sound. I've had that happen before. Definitely a different kind of sound. Sort of like the sound when you drive quickly in reverse. More like an EEEEEEEeeeeee kind of sound. Sorry thats the only way I can describe. I also notice the pitch goes higher when I step on the accelerator. And like I said in my OP.....after a few minutes, it disappears. Also not the a/c because I don't turn on the a/c right away.

Other than that the car drives just fine.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:14 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Do you have power steering? That sounds like it could be the pump. The pump is right on the top front of the engine. Check the fluid level in the tank and if it is out, add only Honda power steering fluid.

If it's not that or a loose belt, it could be one of the bearings on the parts that the belts drive. Listen closely and try to localize it. A good way to do it is to take a piece of rubber hose, hold one end up to your ear and the other end near various parts. Be very careful of the moving parts while you do this.

It could be the alternator itself, A/C idler pulley, A/C clutch pulley (they spin all the time even when the A/C is off), timing belt tensioner or water pump (these last two parts are under the plastic timing belt cover).

Old 03-26-2008, 08:23 AM
HCF Member

Yes I do have power steering. I'll check the fluid level today. Could it still be the timing belt or water pump even if they were replaced just a few years ago?

Thanks mk378

Old 03-27-2008, 07:55 PM
HCF Member

If it's a whistling kind of sound, you might have a vacuum leak in a hose somewhere. My '85 Nissan 4x4 did the same thing, and the reason it went away after a few minutes is because when the rubber hose warmed up, it expanded and filled the cracks - making the noise go away.

I mentioned this because of starting from cold as well as it's accelerator-related.

Otherwise - I got nuthin'.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:03 PM
HCF Member

You've got a bad bearing. Take it to where the work is to be done and let the car cool off so they can pinpoint the culprit. I had a similar problem on one car and it turned out to be the water pump. Don't put off getting it fixed unless you want to be stranded somewhere with a much more expensive problem.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:21 AM
HCF Member

ok I'll do that....damn...the earliest i can do it is Sat.. ....hope it don't die before then.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:52 AM
HCF Member

MK378....you were right! It was the power steering fluid. Almost nothing when I checked. That got rid of the sound.....for now. I was told I have a leak some place. I took a look and can see theres a tear on a rubber part thats connected to the tire.(when you turn the tire to the right you can see it) ...sorry I don't know the terms. But it looks like an accordion rubber thing. It's split wide open and I can see the rod inside. And it looks like theres oil or something all over the area.

Can you tell me what this part is so I when I ask about it I don't sound like a total dork?

Thanks!
J

Old 03-29-2008, 11:59 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: islandguy
I took a look and can see theres a tear on a rubber part thats connected to the tire.(when you turn the tire to the right you can see it) ...sorry I don't know the terms. But it looks like an accordion rubber thing. It's split wide open and I can see the rod inside. And it looks like theres oil or something all over the area.

Can you tell me what this part is so I when I ask about it I don't sound like a total dork?
You probably have a leak from the end seal of the steering gearbox.

Quick Reply: weird sound from engine