Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Wet underneath floormats? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 12:24 PM
Default Wet underneath floormats? Why?

I recently purchased a '98 LX. I just noticed on the way to work this morning that the carpet underneath the floormats is damp, and upon actually getting down there and inspecting, I noticed a faint mildewy smell, leading me to believe that this has gone on for some time.

This is the first time I've driven the car in wet conditions, so it's the first time I've noticed it.

Does anyone have any idea why this may be happening? How can I fix it?

Thank you!

Old 03-14-2005, 01:55 PM
Default RE: Wet underneath floormats? Why?

is the moisture on the passenger side of the car? if so, its most likely a leak in your a/c drain hose

Old 03-14-2005, 03:59 PM

Thanks for the reply...

It's actually on both sides. Not REAL damp, but just noticeable. I guess I'm trying to figure out if there is a way for water to be getting in from underneath?

Old 03-14-2005, 04:29 PM

hhmmm, probably not unless theres a crack in the underbody of the chasis. or else maybe theres a bad seal on your doors, but i doubt it

Old 03-14-2005, 04:53 PM
HCF Member

do you have the stock seats still? or is there an amp or anything installed under seats where somebody had to drill holes and did not seal them enough?

Old 03-14-2005, 11:25 PM
HCF Member

do you know the smell of coolant? its kind of a sweet smell. if thats the smell you have, its probably the heater core.

Old 03-15-2005, 10:25 AM
HCF Member

wuold'nt the windows fog also, if it's the heater core?

Old 03-15-2005, 10:41 AM

my carpet on the driver's side also got wet after it rained. i it, the soles on my shoes slip on the pedals and on the rubber part of the carpet, it drove me nuts! I took out the factory mat that goes over the carpet a while ago, so i just put it back on. I took it off because it slipped with my feet on it and drove meto the point of insanity. I put it back in, and screwed it down with some short drywall screws. But the floor is still damp, tried leaving my door open dirctly in the sun, might as well have poured more water on it becasue that didn't help any. now when i park, i just leave the windows open a so that my car doesn't stink up. It doesn't smell good!

Old 03-15-2005, 10:46 AM
Cat Fuсker

A blow drier may be? I don't know why it would happen though...

Old 03-15-2005, 05:38 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: sacicons

do you know the smell of coolant? its kind of a sweet smell. if thats the smell you have, its probably the heater core.

This is my guess as well. The smell of gross maple syrup would mean coolant and therfore it is mosty likely a bad heater core.

Quick Reply: Wet underneath floormats? Why?