Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

What coolant to use for 98 civic ex? Any tips on keeping my engine/car in good condition?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 02:47 PM
Default What coolant to use for 98 civic ex? Any tips on keeping my engine/car in good condition?

Is there a formula or a general rule on what coolant to use for cars? Any info tips or details on coolants and cars would be appreciated. If not, then just what coolant to put in my 98 civic ex. (I would like to know why I'm using a certain coolant, just to learn).

Also any other tips on how to keep my engine and car in good condition would be appreciated.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:50 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: What coolant to use for 98 civic ex? Any tips on keeping my engine/car in good condition?

OEM Coolant. Keeping up on reg maintenance is what keeps it in good shape. Regular oil changes, change tranny fluid, spark plugs etc etc.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:58 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: What coolant to use for 98 civic ex? Any tips on keeping my engine/car in good condition?

^^^ +1 Listen to Pete. He knows what of he speaks. For real.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:30 PM

im kind of poor too so whats the best cheapest antifreeze to put in it? or what antifreeze should i NOT put in it?

(just in case im feeling like a cheapskate cuz buying OEM antifreeze sounds kinda expensive lol)

what tranny fluids NOT to put? what spark plugs NOT to use?

Old 08-06-2007, 04:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

It's really not much more expensive to buy those supplies OEM when you average it out over their lifetime. Probably less than a dollar per month. If you have an automatic, absolutely only use Honda fluid in it. Manual trans specifies 10W40 motor oil if you don't want to spend maybe $8.00 more to fill it with Honda MTF. Don't use 80W gear oil.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:18 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: incogneato

im kind of poor too so whats the best cheapest antifreeze to put in it? or what antifreeze should i NOT put in it?

(just in case im feeling like a cheapskate cuz buying OEM antifreeze sounds kinda expensive lol)

what tranny fluids NOT to put? what spark plugs NOT to use?
Do NOT put regular water into the cooling system. You'll get corrosion and mineral buildup.Use pre-mixed coolant if you don't know how to mix coolant properly with distilled water.

Some coolants are supposedly good for 100K miles, but I wouldn't want any fluidin my engine for that long. They tend to lose their effectiveness at what they do, and they may become corrosive.Coolant used to be something you changed seasonally when the weather got cold or hot out. I think that's still a good rule of thumb if your seasons change drastically.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:45 AM

i use advance auto part 50/50 antifreeze coolant. i think it cost me like 5.99...

Old 08-07-2007, 06:40 AM
Recognized HCF Member

True that pure water is important, though I do wonder iftypical premix is just mixed with tap water from whatever city where it was made?

Old 08-07-2007, 09:44 AM

Dont use that 50/50 crap, just be smart and buy 10-15 dollar of antifreeze, pour 3/4 of it into ur radiator and fill with water- perferable distilled. can use tap, but rather not, than start ur car- let it warm up and let the engine open the therostat and add water until radiator is full and u can see the water turning- that means it is circulating throughout the cooling system and cap it off. if u use that 50/50 u will never get the correct mixture unless u test it with test strips. I use prestone antifreeze- no probs and works well. that 50/50 isa mixture of water and antifreeze.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:35 AM

i have used hose water before, is there anyway to reverse the damage?

also how about filtered water (from my fridge) instead of distilled, would that be ok too?

all your replies have been great!

Quick Reply: What coolant to use for 98 civic ex? Any tips on keeping my engine/car in good condition?