Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

What could I have unhooked?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 08:41 PM
HCF Member
Default What could I have unhooked?

After replacing a head gasket, I got in and turned the key to my daughter's ex-and now my - '91 wagon with 1500 cc engine. Everything worked in the cab but I got no power to the starter. What could I have unhooked to do this? Frustrating!

Old 04-07-2013, 09:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Head gasket work shouldn't have anything to do with that. If it's manual transmission, check the clutch switch. The rubber pad can fall out at any time. You can test the battery, starter, and big wires by jumping battery + to the small terminal on the starter. Be sure car is in park or neutral with the brake set.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:33 AM
HCF Member

Haynes mentions no clutch switch while Chilton does. I see nothing where Chilton says it should be for a '91. Neither manual tells how to take the seat out - only apart - and I am in too much pain to twist around in doorway and look up into the pedal cluster.

Old 04-08-2013, 11:46 AM
Recognized HCF Member

There is definitely a clutch switch. The pedal has to be pressed all the way down before the starter will turn.

To remove a front seat just remove the 4 bolts that hold the ends of the rails to the floor; two in front and two in back. In other words, the seat comes out of the car with the rails attached. The bolts may have plastic trim covers on them which pry off.

First make sure it could potentially be the clutch switch by jumping the starter under the hood. Look for a small (about 1/2 inch diameter) loose piece of rubber in the floor board below the pedals.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:01 PM
HCF Member

Thanks, Mk378. I found the clutch switch but it seems to be the type that Chilton states is on a '92 model, not the '91 that I have. When I worked at Autozone I was told that Honda was bad about using whatever was in the parts bin. I can push it in with my finger. I'll try to jump the starter before I take out the seat. Of course, the fabric has long since disintegrated so I plan to take it out and replace with a cool racing type seat.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:38 AM
HCF Member

As I unscrewed the nut which connected the positive battery lead to the starter I noticed a lot of corrosion. I cleaned up the area, the nut, washer and threaded post and put the cable back on. This time when I turned the key I heard what I wanted to hear, the starter motor. So, now I just have to replace a leaky radiator and I'm done. At least for now.