Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

what does a crankshaft bearing sound like if its going out?/

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 06:52 PM
Default what does a crankshaft bearing sound like if its going out?/

help got a 95 civic ex 1.6 v tec 5 spd sohc to day i started my car n Iheard a weird noise sounding like its coming frome the valve cover . but could be coming frome the lower part of the engine.underneth.. does it all the time . gets louder when the rpms go up..the noise is hard to describe.. but its kinda like a higher pich.swuealling..almost like i got a really really loud cold air intake or something..wich i do but i know it not that.. i took it to a lube center n after frist talking to the whole crew about my car for 15 min or so i askt for them to lisen to it n they thought it sounded like the crankshaft bearing..what do u guys think n is their some home test i can do or something i can buy to try to fix it frist before i go to a shop n spend a benny n then hope they tell me the truth...please help also they told me if it was that my temp might start going up n to wach it ..is thise also true??????????

Old 10-16-2006, 10:57 PM
Default RE: what does a crankshaft bearing sound like if its going out?/

yeah it could be a spun bearing...or it could be anything...this is one of those things that we'd hafta hear to answer..

Old 10-16-2006, 11:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

usualy crankshaft bearings only squeel for the first couple seconds from a could start up then go away. i would say your valves are out of adjustment.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:24 PM

found out it was only the air con pulley squelling. so since i dont use it anyway i just took offthe belt thanks room....