Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

what kinda problems would i see if i had almost pure antifreeze?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default what kinda problems would i see if i had almost pure antifreeze?

just curiouse what kinda problems i might notice....

i THINK i might have almost pure antifreeze in my 94 because i thought the motor would suck alot more fluid thru it when i replaced the motor.. and i dont remember adding much water if any......
i say THINK because i cannt remember what i used when i replaced the motor....

BUT i havent seen any overheating, my gauge seems to stay at 1/3rd heat which seems good to me...
does it always cause problems or no or could it be hurting somehow and me not see any problems?
i think i used pure antifreeze but since i dont have visable problems i think i might be alright but not positive....

Old 02-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: what kinda problems would i see if i had almost pure antifreeze?

I believe that 100% coolant has a decreased capacity to absorb engine heat compared to the recommended coolant/water mix. This may not be a problem during the winter but could become an issue in the heat of summer, when you might be more prone to overheating. I don't think you need to worry until the weather gets hot.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:51 PM
gwl
HCF Member

Its the water that has the cooling effect. Antifreeze keeps it from rusting. The closed system allows for a higher boiling point than normal atmosphere pressure.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: gwl
...Antifreeze keeps it from rusting...
Antifreeze also both lowers the freezing point and increases the boiling point of water, thereby decreasing the chances of the fluid freezing or boiling.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:12 PM
HCF Member

Pure anti-freeze is more viscous which you probably noticed, so your engine will have to work slightly more to keep it flowing, but this is negligible. There are different types, the most standard being green. All types contain silicates, phosphates and/or borates as corrosion inhibitors to keep the solution alkaline. As long as the solution remains alkaline, corrosion is controlled and the system is protected. Orange antifreeze contains organic acids that protect engine parts from corrosion, basically just a different type of corrosion inhibitor.

From what I've read pure antifreeze is a lousy coolant, and in fact freezes at a much higher temperature than a 50/50 mix. So it won't harm the engine directly, but may well allow it to freeze or boil over.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:29 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, pure water is a better coolant than pure anti-freeze; it's even better than the proper 50/50 mix. But pure water is absolutely no good at preventing freezing or preventing corrosion.

Back to the original question... If you dida few drain/fill cycles with just water, then every time you drain it, a bunch (couple quarts??) stay behind. When you fill with water, you dilute that so it's mostly water after a few drain/fills.

Then you pour in the antifreeze. It mixes with the water left from the last drain, so you're probably not quite as bad as you think.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

Back to the original question... If you dida few drain/fill cycles with just water, then every time you drain it, a bunch (couple quarts??) stay behind. When you fill with water, you dilute that so it's mostly water after a few drain/fills.

Then you pour in the antifreeze. It mixes with the water left from the last drain, so you're probably not quite as bad as you think.
well when i instaled the new motor i replaced EVERY small hose on the motor as well and drained all the fluids. the only posible fluid left in the system was maybe alittle in the heater core.

i just havent seen anything negative yet...

motor seems to warm up fine from cold start up besides alittle fluctuation in the rpms from the fast idle trying to kick out or something like that but onces the motors warmed up alittle it goes away and never gets hoter than 1/3 temp...

Old 02-09-2008, 04:46 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Drain it and refill, coolant is like $6 [&:]

Old 02-09-2008, 01:26 PM

ORIGINAL: addiction2bass

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

well when i instaled the new motor i replaced EVERY small hose on the motor as well and drained all the fluids. the only posible fluid left in the system was maybe alittle in the heater core.

i just havent seen anything negative yet...

motor seems to warm up fine from cold start up besides alittle fluctuation in the rpms from the fast idle trying to kick out or something like that but onces the motors warmed up alittle it goes away and never gets hoter than 1/3 temp...

Did you bleed the coolant system? Air bubbles = RPM fluxuation Warmth = More pressure on coolant system, IACV may not recognize it as bad. Cold = less pressure, it may pop rpms when it detects an air bubble.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:15 PM
HCF Member

ok your gauge is a placebo hence it is always at one third so that is not a good gauge of temp you run antifreeze only to negate coroson and provide a little lubrication. Do not run pure antifreez you will only overheat your car (do not rely on the gauge) you need to run the mix and just replace it its easy and cheep insurance

Quick Reply: what kinda problems would i see if i had almost pure antifreeze?