Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Wheel Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 06:54 PM
HCF Member
Default Wheel Bearing

Hey, I asked several months ago about a power steering rack & pinion leak, and managed to stop that leak with some stop leak fluid (at least haven't seen any new spots, and fluid seems to be holding level just fine now..

But last month when I took it to Les Schwab for a tire repair they told me my wheel bearing on driver side front was going out.. Then on the way home that day I almost lost control and went into a ditch.. The steering just was weird for a minute or so.... Was the loss of control from just the wheel bearing, or is the R&P going down hill to? I'm sorta in a bind here... if its just wheel bearing I may have it fixed, but if its the bearing and R&P, I gotta try to sell this thing and find something more dependable... I don't have the time, money, or energy to sink another $1,000+ into repairs on this car...

EDIT: Alot of the DIY's and videos I've watched show that the Ball Joint is often messed up, or going out around the same time as the bearing, True or False, and how much extra is that going to cost?

Thanks.

Last edited by 91DxRob; 02-16-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:55 PM

Pull the wheel off and inspect everything. The bearing would make a humming noise while driving usually when bad

Old 02-17-2013, 02:46 AM
HCF Member

I haven't noticed any humming when driving it, but when I took it to Les Schwab for a tire repair they said when they raised the wheel it was wobbly which meant the bearing was going bad, and told me it would cost almsot $350 for them to repair it... then I almost lost control on the way home...

Old 02-17-2013, 05:09 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Do what civicrcr said, inspect it yourself. Find which part has slack in it causing the wobble. Lift one wheel off the ground and turn the key to the first click so the steering is unlocked. Then grab the tire and try to pivot the raised wheel side to side (as if the car is making turns). There should be no looseness or clunking. Any motion should be immediately transferred to the other wheel that is still on the ground.

A bearing that is so bad that the wheel wobbles usually makes a lot of noise.

Being nearly out of fluid would make the power steering work intermittently, the car is hard to control that way. If your rack is still leaking just take the belt off of the pump and drive manually.

Last edited by mk378; 02-17-2013 at 05:14 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:04 AM
HCF Member

Good news is the r&p isn't leaking anymore... fluid levels have been staying up for awhile now... I got some of that honda specific stuff with stop leak like you all suggested.. took a few times pouring it in there, but once the whole bottle of stop leak fluid went in, no more leakage..

As for the bearing, I'll check in sometime in the next few days and let you know!

Old 02-18-2013, 07:09 AM

Who suggested stop leak? I would never...

Old 02-19-2013, 01:08 AM
HCF Member

Maybe it was the dude at orielly auto... either way, i wound up gettin some honda ps fluid with stop leak and that worked...

Old 02-19-2013, 04:34 AM

Wobbly wheel could be a lower ball joint (unless of course the actual hub itself is wobbling on the knuckle - then it's definitely the wheel bearing). A bad lower ball joint would also explain losing control.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:17 PM
HCF Member

Hmm... Yeah I've still got to get out there and raise the wheel like cvccrr99 said... Though, with the absence of a humming noise, the ball joint could be more likely.... All I know is the dude at Les Schwab said that when they jacked it up to take the tire off for repair that the wheel was 'wobbly'

I'll try to get to the check before the weekend.. if I can get this thing back on the road so I can get job hunting I'll be happy!

Old 02-27-2013, 10:53 AM
HCF Member

Hate rezzing an old thread, but update:

Took it to a mechanic... $210 later, as the mechanic said "The wheel bearing is gone..." Soooo relatively cheap repair I guess...

Oh and my loud exhaust is a hole the size of a baseball in the 'new muffler' Or I guess one might call it a redneck glass pack? Either way... taking it to meineke asap..

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearing