Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Wierd Yellow Sticky Stuff Plastered Under My Hood?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 10:09 PM
HCF Member
Default Wierd Yellow Sticky Stuff Plastered Under My Hood?

Hi All

Theres this yellow, viscous, sticky junk prayed all over the under side of my hood. It's like a cross between oil and resin. I'll need something industrial to clean it i fear, but won't do that until I know what it is and can prevent it from being splattered all over my engine bay.

Maybe it's always been there or maybe it's new, but whatever it is I just noticed it, either way, could someone tell me what it is and how to stop it painting the under side of my hood yellow?

The car's not that old and is in good condition, so this has kind of got me puzzled.

Thanks in advance.
Faith
Name:  13012007.jpg
Views: 1431
Size:  66.8 KB

Name:  13012007003.jpg
Views: 1208
Size:  59.7 KB

Name:  13012007002.jpg
Views: 1444
Size:  38.8 KB

Name:  13012007001.jpg
Views: 1414
Size:  38.3 KB

Old 01-13-2007, 10:51 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Wierd Yellow Sticky Stuff Plastered Under My Hood?

That almost looks like it was from a radiator leak or something, or perhaps someone left the oil cap off sometime or another, I am not really sure. It's rather odd how its built up in the corner there next to the hood mounts.

Anyway, have you tried a store bought degreaser? Like something you would buy at a local grocery or auto parts store? Most of those things won't hurt your engine bay, as long as you don't get them directly into electrical covers, open wiring, or etc..

I would probably try a spary on foamy type degreaser, and then take some towels to it, maybe even spray it down with the garden hose if I had to. If your worried about getting anything on the engine, just spray the degreaser into a rag and wipe it pretty hard, useone of those 3M scrub pad sponges if need be, since its the underpart of your hood no one should be able to see it.

I would keep an eye peeled for more too, after you clean it. If its a reoccuring thing you might have a leak somewhere.

Old 01-14-2007, 12:40 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Wierd Yellow Sticky Stuff Plastered Under My Hood?

Cool, thanks man

I have some decreaser in the garage, I might take the hood off, give it a good clean and decrease the whole engine bay while I'm at it.

The sustance is just as you see it (a clearish yellow substance). It's the same colour as coolant, but not the same consistancy (might be due it being 'baked' onto the hood).

Thanks again though, a thorough clean should make things a little more evident if there are any problems.