Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Window Off Track & check engine light:

Old 08-15-2012, 05:29 PM
HCF Member
Default Window Off Track & check engine light:

Hi All,

I'm from Oregon first of all, and here are my 2 questions:

1. I have a 91 Civic Dx Hatchback and I heard a pop in the driver side door last week and now the window is cocked real bad and wont roll up or down properly, is this a hard fix to do myself? (Im not that good at fixing car stuff but with some instructions I may be able to figure it out..)

and

2. I just recently purchased this car from a friend, after they had fully rebuilt 'er and every time I drive it for about an hour or so with only a short break in there or no break at all, the check engine light comes on.. friend said to look for some blinkin lights on the passenger side under the carpet but im not finding them... Is this just emissions(what they've told me?) and if so will it go away and stop coming back on or is there a way to prevent it?

Thanks!

Old 08-15-2012, 06:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Sounds like your window regulator broke. The window regulator works like a jack attached to the bottom of the glass to push it up and down to open and close the window. This is a common problem and a relatively simple fix. You need to take the plastic / carpet trim off of the inside of the door (unscrew the handles and remove the crank if manual window first) then unbolt the regulator and bolt in a new one. There is sometimes some fussing around to adjust the exact position of the bolts so the window opens and closes properly. After 20 years the plastic clips that hold the interior trim on usually have become brittle and will break when you try to remove them. Thus you may need new clips to reassemble the door.

Pull down the carpet where the passenger's feet would be (it has velcro at the top). There is a goldtone metal plate there with a hole in it, behind the hole is a clear plastic window with a red LED inside. Turn the key on but don't start. When there are codes stored the LED will start blinking. It will blink for a number of times, pause, and repeat the same number of blinks again 3 times. The number of blinks in each series can be from one to 20. Look up the number in the sticky "ECU Trouble Codes" at the top of this forum.

Last edited by mk378; 08-15-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:33 PM
HCF Member

Thanks man! Sounds much easier than some of the instructions online....

In the 91 door is it just the screw inside the little cubby(on the arm rest) and the one under the door handle to get the inside panel off?