Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Windshield washer problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 01:06 PM
Default Windshield washer problems

I have a 2007 Civic with 163,000 miles. The windshield washers quit working in December. They just trickled out and didn't even hit the windshield. The fluid level was fine. I took it to the dealer where we bought it. They said the nozzles were clogged. The washers worked for about a day. Took it back and they said they fixed it, but if they quit again they would have to replace the pump. They worked for two days. I took it to a different mechanic and he replaced the pump. The washers worked for a few more days before reverting to a trickle. I took it back to the same place and he replaced the washer nozzles. They worked for a day and a half. The last mechanic said if the problem returned, he would replace the pump under warranty then the next step would be to completely rebuild the entire system. Right now, we drive the car only when the roads are dry, which isn't very often. I was driving it today and tried the washers. the fluid made it to the windshield but wasn't properly diffused. The pressure dropped after about three tries. I don't understand why the washers work perfectly after they have been worked on, but die after a couple days of use. Anybody have any suggestions?

Old 02-07-2013, 02:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Maybe there's crud in the reservoir clogging up the nozzles? You can remove and clean them yourself. Can you see the reservoir or is it like older models where it is mounted down low behind the bumper?

Old 02-09-2013, 08:49 AM

The reservior is buried behind the bumper. I've read other posts where they say to remove the bumper or remove the inner fender. I'm not the most mechanicaly inclined. When I replaced a headlight bulb, I broke a clip when I partially removed the wheelwell. The dealer didn't reinstall the cowling propoerly when they first worked on the nozzels and a corner broke off when I turned the wipers on. They replaced it at their expense. If I start removing panels and break something it will be at my expense. The washer pump is partially in the reservoir, and when mechanic #2 replaced it I would have thought he would have flushed the reservoir. I will check back with him.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:49 AM

I checked with the mechanic that last worked on the washer system. When he replaced the pump, he flushed the reservoir and blew out the lines. Are these problems common in civics with internal washer pumps?

Old 02-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Disconnect the hose somewhere under the hood (I think it will have a coupler) and hit the switch, see if you get a good flow from the pump. If it does, the nozzles could be clogged. Also inspect the entire length of the hose for being pinched or kinked.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:45 AM
HCF Member

the lines may be getting kinked after you close the hood. Might try washer wit hood open.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:55 AM

The washer nozzles are in the cowl between the windshield and hood so opening the hood had no effect.
I took the the car back to the local mechanic who was working on the problem. Before he completely rebuilt the system, he checked the hose. It wasn't kinked, but the hose was not totally in one of the c clamps at the base of the windshield where it went into the fender. Apparently, when it was in his heated shop the hose was flexible enough to expand and let fluid pass, but in the cold, it just trickled out. I had the windshield replaced last summer and it's possible the tech got the hose out of place. Anyway, the mechanic replaced ther hose properly and now the washers work great. Thanks for everybody's help.