Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Windshield wiper removal 97 hx

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Default Windshield wiper removal 97 hx

Does anyone have instructions on how to remove the windshield wipers after the metric nut has been removed.....I would like to sand my wipers and repaint them. But was stumped when I went to take them off.

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Windshield wiper removal 97 hx

After removal of the nut, the wiper arm should lift straight out.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Lift the wiper arm off the glass, so the spring tension isn't putting things in a bind. Then take hold of the bottom part and rock it from side to side a little while pulling. It's a tapered fit.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:56 AM

Thank you all for your input, after further researching here is what i found at the library. I hope this helps others with similar problems. My deal was, they had never been removed and they were a little tough to come apart.
Windshield Wiper Blade and Arm
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Wiper Arm Removal
FRONT
[ol][*]Remove the mounting nut from the wiper pivot.[*]Mark the wiper arm and pivot bolt alignment using touch up paint or a suitable maker.[*]Carefully press down on the wiper arm about 4 inches (100mm) from the wiper pivot bolt. Press down and release several times until the wiper arm releases from the pivot.[*]While holding the wiper arm on the pivot, fold the arm upward until it locks in position.[*]Lift the wiper arm off of the pivot.
To install:
NOTE: Be sure to properly align the wiper arm with the pivot bolt.
[*]Installation is the reverse of removal.
NOTE: Once the arms are installed, operate the wipers in the fast position with the windshield wet. Use the washers to wet the windshield. If the wipers strike the windshield trim, reposition the arms to so they do not touch the surrounding trim. [/ol]
REAR
The rear wiper arm removal is the same as the front wiper arm procedure, with exception of the wrench size needed. Most of the rear wiper assemblies typically require a 12mm wrench for removal.