Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Wobbly steering wheel at slow speed. Mechanic says belt problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 01:58 PM
HCF Member
Default Wobbly steering wheel at slow speed. Mechanic says belt problem

When I'm driving my car at slow speeds, the steering wheel wobbles. But the wobbling seems to disappear when I am driving at the faster speed. I told a mechanic about this over the phone and he says there is a belt problem. He said that the belt is inside the tire and that I need to replace the tire.

Questions:
1. He seemed pretty Verdun that it is the belt. Do all of you agree that it can't be anything else?
2. How can I figure which of the four tires has the problem?
3. Simply replacing the problem tire would fix the problem, right?
4. What happens if you keep driving with such a tire? would the tire just explode?

Old 01-11-2016, 03:18 PM

Without knowing the year civic you have, i'll do my best at answering. Keep in mind that you should always start with this type of information in addition to any modifications that are done to the car.

I, too think it is a tire/wheel problem. you could have a bent rim, too. when the shop goes to balance the tires, they can tell. You could take the car to a shop and ask them to rebalance the tires, but that might not be the solution.

you can swap the back tires onto the front and see if the problem dos away, or stops. Only the front wheels are attached to the steering rack.

if the tires are the problem, then yes replacements should fix them.

you could do damage to the wheel bearing if something is wobbling up front. Those aren't the cheapest or easiest things to replace.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:57 PM
HCF Member

cvcrcr99,
thanks for your reply. 1995 Civic LX. I did not make any modifications to the car. But bought it used, and I don't know whether the previous owner(s) modified the car.