Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Worst Case Scenario :*(

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 10:28 AM
Default Worst Case Scenario :*(

Anyone know why I'm getting oil in my coolant system? Yea, that's right, OIL in the COOLANT system... Not the other way around. If it seems that I'm beating around the disaster, it's because I do not want to hear "cracked block" [sm=bangbang.gif] - - Someone please throw me a bone and tell me theres something else that could cause this, and you can't say head gasket because I've already replaced it (less than 300 miles ago) so I don't think that's the problem. [sm=imsmilin.gif]

If it is the block, can anyone tell me a ballpark cost for a new/rebuilt/used engine and a ballpark cost for labor to get it installed? I think I can get engines at a local junkyard for like200 bucks but I don't want to take that damn risk like I've done already, and Ireally don't feel like installing it either.

Please tell me it's not a cracked block [sm=shootshoot.gif] please please.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:37 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Worst Case Scenario :*(

How do you know there is oil in the coolant? What did you see? I would flush the coolant system before you jump to conclusions. You could have done it while you were changing the head gasket such a short time ago.

Depending on what motor you have/want;there are several importers of low-milage jap motors for anywhere from 500 - 5,000 bucks. Just google "JDM swap" and look around.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:51 AM

Okay, well first of all, it had started over heating and I couldn't figure out why. Well finally I had someone stand over the engine and found out that a coolant hose (some tiny thing going from the intake manifold to somewhere on the low side of the firewall) was spraying everywhere and I was loosing coolant.

Car started over heating and I shut it down, the spray from the coolant I think got the injector pigtail wet and I think it wasn't spraying fuel because the car would not restart after the overheat. I replaced the hose andI let the car sit for about 4-6 hours, came back and it started on the first try, but now it's blowing white smoke (WTF!), when I say blowing, I mean plooms of white smoke.

When it overheated, it only went just above normal before I shut it down, there was no white smoke before shutting down and the car did not run rough while overheating.

My coolant reservoir is full of goo from the oil/coolant mixture, it's just slop. When the car is running with the radiator cap off, you can see little chunks of black crap (looks like oil) floating by when it's flowing.

BTW --- This is the 89 Civic with the 1.5l engine.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:03 AM
HCF Member

Geez. Where do you live? Come to Louisiana and buy my D16A6 immediately. $200 bucks and it yours.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:11 AM

I'm in georgia, I wouldn't mind taking the trip though if it's worth it! Will it fit my car? Anything wrong with it? How difficult is it to do an engine swap? If I bought the motor from you and had someone else swap it for me, what would it cost, do you think?

My car has a 5 speed tranny, will that affect anything? My car was running GREAT as far as get up-n-go, is your engine bigger or smaller? Could I expect the same performance from it that I had from the stock engine currently in it?

I couldn't pick it up immediately, I just started a new job and I gotta get paid! I wouldn't mind sending you 50 bucks to hold it for me until I could pick it up. --- Do you think it would fit in the back of a 91 Ford Aerostar? (Completely gutted on the inside as a work van) ... >:O

Old 02-25-2007, 11:22 AM
HCF Member

Your motor has 92Hp, the a6 has 113. Nothing wrong with it as far as I know. It will bolt right up to your tranny. Motor swaps of the same generation aren't that tough, really. It's just unplug and replug. You dont absolutely have to have a motor lift, but it helps. I know my local charges $750 for a swap so it's def. worth it to do it yourself.

Lemme know if you are serious.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:36 AM

I am definantly serious. I also have family in Lafayette, LA --- Would be a good time to see them as far as the trip is concerned. This car was being restored before I bought it, it has no body damage and the interior is near perfect, some minor stuff to fix. I bought it for 350 bucks thinking that it was a head gasket and I got about 600/650 in it total with the tow bill and head gasket parts, also a water pump too.

I am a backyard mechanic basically and I am good at taking things apart and putting them back together, so far i've done two head gaskets (foreign and domestic) and a tranny swap/injectors on a nissan 200sx. Basically pulling top end of motors apart, never done a full engine swap and the only thing that scares me about the engine swap is removing the crankshaft pulley (don't have access to a big air compressor powerful enough to break it loose) if that's even neccessary for a swap and the cost of an engine lift.

If you could make me confident enough to do the swap myself, I am definantly serious about it. --- I have a company car so time is not an issue, the car will be sitting at a friends house (hopefully) and I can work on it there. Otherwise, 750 really is alot of cash to swap, you're already talking 950 with the cost of the motor. So, swapping it myself would be ideally what I want to do.

I want to be confident about the engine condition as well. How many miles are on it? (mileage isn't as important as knowing about the maintenance of the engine)

Just remember that I have to travel a while to pick it up and it would really suck to get it back here to find out that it has a cracked block or something stupid like that. What can you tell me about it? Why do you have it? etc. etc. [sm=icon_blah.gif]

Old 02-25-2007, 03:23 PM
HCF Member

I personally have never heard it run, so I can't vouch for it. But the guy told me it was running strong when he pulled it to swap in a dual cam motor. The crank turns freely. I dont' know if it would be worth it for you to drive all this way for a motor that you can't hear run, but, I suppose you can keep it in mind if you have no other options.

And, you dont'have to mess with the crank pulley bolt for a swap, but itis a good idea to change the timing belt while you have a motor out of the car.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:06 PM

Argh, why do you have it if you've never heard it run? It would have been worth it if I knew it was an okay engine. I thought maybe it was yours from a personal swap and that you knew more about it. I will definantly keep it in mind, i'll probably just buy a new or rebuilt one that I know will be okay.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:09 PM

Nevermind

Quick Reply: Worst Case Scenario :*(