Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xenon Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 04:28 AM
Default Xenon Bulbs

So I've been looking around eBay and I see all these "Xenon H12" bulbs etc like THESE.

I would like to replace the bulbs in my current 1998 3dr 1.4Hatch Civic with Xenon, but am not 100% sure if they will be a direct replacement, or for that matter which bulbs I should get, since they range from H1 to H12.

Thanks for any help!

Old 01-22-2008, 05:03 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Xenon Bulbs

These are basically halogen bulbs that have been dunked in blue dye. In the USA, you can buy something similar at any local parts chain store.

I think that all halogen bulbs contain some xenon gas, so there's nothing magic about that claim.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:11 AM
HCF Member

Honestly if you just replace your stock bulbs it will give you better output probably. But if you want a white like then i would recommend Eurolight or PIAA, they are decent... but still are no HID that's for sure

Old 01-22-2008, 05:12 AM

OK, so the blue dye takes out the "yellow" in the light I guess.

So they actually have better reach and brightness? I have stock bulbs currently, I guess these are not halogen?

Thanks for the reply!

Old 01-22-2008, 05:13 AM

ORIGINAL: Fiirkan

Honestly if you just replace your stock bulbs it will give you better output probably. But if you want a white like then i would recommend Eurolight or PIAA, they are decent... but still are no HID that's for sure
So can I place HID blubs into my existing setup? I would like the whitest and brightest possible without changing wiring.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:21 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: alecrust

ORIGINAL: Fiirkan

So can I place HID blubs into my existing setup? I would like the whitest and brightest possible without changing wiring.
well with a decent HID setup it's going to cost at least a coupe of hundred bucks, and i'm not talking about a plug and play kit, i mean a full retrofit.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:25 AM

OK, thanks Fiirkan, I'll just go with the Xeon bulbs instead. Maybe next time with the HID!

So my remaining questions:

- Are these Xenon bulbs really brighter?
- Do they give better reach?
- I have stock bulbs now, are they halogen or will I be receiving halogen with these new bulbs.

Thanks again!

Old 01-22-2008, 07:52 AM
HCF Member

They are worth the $15 or whatever. Mine were bright, and looks whitish/blue, even in the daytime unlit (because of the blue glass on the bulb reflecting off the silver of the headlight). Of course they're no HID's, but the output was fine and they look way better than stock.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:03 AM

Thanks FlipHKD720, that's useful.

One more, what about the H1-H12? What number should I go for, and what do they mean?

Old 01-22-2008, 08:09 AM
HCF Member

if you have factory headlights you need H4

Quick Reply: Xenon Bulbs