New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

00 Civic engine dies while driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 03:20 AM
Default 00 Civic engine dies while driving

Hi everyone just need some help on my 00 civic. I only know a few things about cars so any help would be much appreciated. I was driving my civic last nite and just began to notice I couldn't accelerate turns out the engine died while i was doing 40-50 mph and all the lights came on as if I was just about to start the car. I pulled in the side of the road now the car is igniting but would not start. There is power coz of the lights, hazard etc are all working but the engine just won't turn on.

Now I am not sure what is wrong. When recovery arrived he reckons problem might be the fuel pump. And in addition last week the Malfunction Indicator Light (aka Engine light) came on. Wasn't sure whats wrong so brought it to a Honda dealer and it came out the car needs a new catalytic converter. Now haven't been able to change it coz I don't have the money yet and drove it for the the whole week. Does anyone know would the cat converter got anything to do the engine dying?

Please I need some help...

Old 03-21-2013, 10:23 AM

Are you still drivng the car or not? If the car isn't running, is the timing belt still intact? Maybe that broke.

CEL for the cat is unrelated at this point unless there is a CEL for something else now, which you would need to get checked out.