New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

87 si diff lock?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 03:06 PM
Default 87 si diff lock?

I have a 87 si that is going to be transformed into a rock crawler. It is a 5 speed std. trans. The plan is to pull the motor and place it in the crawler axles front to rear. The axles will then become the drive shafts. I think the only problem will be locking up the axles. I have not found any spools for this old of model. I can weld the spiders I guess? Any other options? Has any body else done it, or know of any one who has. Any input would be a great help. And yes I know if it were an auto I could lock it up electrically.

Old 12-05-2006, 03:49 PM
Default RE: 87 si diff lock?

umm? you want to transversly mount the engine in the car to make the cv shaftes drive shafts for front and rear?

Old 12-05-2006, 06:10 PM

NO, NO, NO, The only thing I am using from the honda is the engine and transmission. Those two components are going into a chromoly tube frame. much like the rhino off-road car.

Old 12-05-2006, 06:14 PM
HCF Member

Some sketches and more detailed explanation may help to understand your question

Old 12-05-2006, 07:28 PM

I guess I am making this to difficult. My question is how can I lock up the differential. Is there a spool made for a 87 SI? has any one welded the spider gears? maybe for drag racing? Is there an after market locker available? maybe i am in the wrong forum for this question? Thanks for the help.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:53 AM
Kei

By "Lock up" do you mean Posi-traction? Construct a limited slip differencial?? (Note, I don't know anytihng about verticle climbing or things like that. just seen it done)

Old 12-06-2006, 11:06 AM

No not limited slip. what I am doing is turning the honda motor and trans into a 4x4 power unit. I will transverse the motor and put it into a frame that I will build. The two existing axles will be turned into two drive shafts, one turning the rear differential, the other turning the front differential off a jeep. If I want the power to both the front and rear constantly the diff has to be "axles locked up" with no slip (locked up). This is is done in drag racing with domestic cars with a (locker, spool, and other devices). If it was an auto trans I could lock up the torque converter electrically. but I am running a 5 speed. I am tring to find a lock up device for this year of inported honda. they make them for much later models. My last option is to weld the spider gears inside the diff. which is a permanent fix, cheap, but not easy. Hope this helps understand what I am up to. Its like finding the last piece of the puzzle before I can start to play with my new toy. Thanks for the intrest and help.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:06 PM
HCF Member

ok, so on the civic (most modles any way) the power wheel is the right front, he wants both wheels to turn continuously.

bud, i dont know anything about the old civics, but im going to assume that you will have to weld the spiders. im going to go out one a limb here, but not too many people have used a honda engine for off road...because hondas rev high, but have low torque... if you have the money, get a small block chevey motor, or a VW engine...those are the most popular set up for "rail buggys" and will therefore provide you with more aftermarket solutions and advice.

good luck with your project, i heard those things are mad fun...my dad used to have a couple, but i was to little to rember them.

Old 12-06-2006, 12:22 PM

the only thing you could probalby do is weld the spider gears together, and i don't know how reliable that would be. but i do know if you opted for a newer engine and tranny like a b series honda spools and stuff are redily availible if you look.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Ben

What is a "honda spool?"

Quick Reply: 87 si diff lock?