New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

car shaking like the wheels are going to fall off

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Default car shaking like the wheels are going to fall off

hello all ok i havea big problem my i have a 97 honda civic ex.
i have had it since october of last year i have had 17" rims on it all that time too. The problem i have is that the car shakes really bad when i accelerate it started happening about 2 months ago it was not to bad then over time it got worse and worse now it shakes like the wheels are about to fall off. It is the whole car shaking not just the steering wheel. When it started it would do it at about 60mphnowit does itat about 40mph or 45mph and when i am crusing itdoes not shake when i decelerateit shakes between 40 and 50 this started about2 weeks agoifit is not in gear at any speed it does not shack. It is a 5 speed manual i have had new rimsput on so they are balance the old ones i had balance twice and it still did it so i thought it was the rims were bent so i changed them it is alignedall 4 motor mounts have been changed and the transmission mount has been changed the tie rod ends look fine the rubber is not torn up and all and the wheel bearings are fine because none of the wheels have and shimmy to them at all.

if anybody can give me a suggestion as to what i should do to fix it that would be great

Old 03-12-2007, 08:01 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: car shaking like the wheels are going to fall off

lets see, vibrations?, check the brakes, see if the wheels are correctly seated on the hub, everything is torqued down,see if tires are good, see if rims are warped, check to see if wheel weights fell off,a slightmiss-alignment shouldn't cause severe vibrating

Old 03-12-2007, 08:06 PM

no it does not shake if i am braking with it out of gear the wheels are not warped because it was shaking before i go these wheels i though it might be the wheels so i go the new ones the weights are fine on them any other ideas please

Old 03-12-2007, 08:09 PM
HCF Member

you don't have to brake for the brakes to cause vibration

Old 03-12-2007, 08:49 PM

mine does it too right now but mine is slammed real low and it turned out there is a factorynut that is bolted to the frame that broke loose from the weld down by the left front lower control arm but above the subframe and so i am raising it back up but shop told me i had to cut a hole in the subframe and reweld the nut in place and all would be good so it could be a possibility but ?

Old 03-13-2007, 12:16 AM
HCF Member

Maybe a spinning part around the engine is making the whole car shake?

Old 03-13-2007, 11:48 AM
HCF Member

alignment? Maybe a warped rim.....

Old 03-13-2007, 12:41 PM

Did you put on stronger lug nuts after putting on larger rims? because you may have damaged them. my bro at the shop had an MG like that. Couldnt figure it out. but it turned out to be lug nuts. Try Them. (not sure im not the mechanic lol)

Old 03-13-2007, 03:05 PM
olv
HCF Member

i had the same problem when my tire warped.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:14 PM

i would check the brakes first i have a car do that and it was the rotors going bad,but if thats not it then check ur gears in ur tranny,if it only does it at certain speeds then it might be wat gears ur in r giving out

Quick Reply: car shaking like the wheels are going to fall off