New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

First Post

Old 02-11-2006, 04:46 PM
HCF Member
Default First Post

I just bought a 99 Civic EX coupe. It's got about 86,000 miles on it. It's going to be my daily driver but I was just wondering what kind of inexpensive addition I could put on it to make the ride more enjoyable.

Old 02-11-2006, 05:03 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: First Post

Welcome to HCF. What do you mean? Like handling wise or sound system or speed?

Old 02-11-2006, 06:01 PM
HCF Member

I'm looking for a little bit more speed and also any wheel and tire options. It has some Wal-mart chrome wheel covers on it right now from the previous owner so I'm looking to upgrade. It is a zippy little car and I bought it for the gas mileage so I don't want to sacrafice that for speed. Any suggestions?

Old 02-11-2006, 06:48 PM
HCF Member

If you get Intake, header, and exhaust or anyone of those you will get better gas mileage. So those will add a little hp and wont sacrifice your MPG. With the wheels and tires, you should just check around on websites and places like discount tire to find a rim you'll like.

Old 02-11-2006, 07:41 PM
HCF Member

I've heard that if you get lighter wheels it will make it feel quicker due to the loss in weight. Is that true? And how big is too big when it comes to wheels?

Old 02-11-2006, 08:37 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: silverbullet

I've heard that if you get lighter wheels it will make it feel quicker due to the loss in weight. Is that true? And how big is too big when it comes to wheels?
I wouldnt go above 17. Yea lighter wheels will feel quicker.

Old 02-11-2006, 09:01 PM
HCF Member

Welcome to HCF. I got 17's on mine but I would say that 16's are about perfect for wheel sizes.

Old 02-11-2006, 09:08 PM
HCF Member

Welcome. You could try some aftermarket suspension. Strut braces are a pretty inexpensive mod (about $100 i believe) that will give you some better handeling (or so i hear). If you have more money to spend, you could go with new sway bars and if you have a lot more money you could go with a aftermarket coilover suspension. SOme of the systems have adjustable ride height and dampening. You could change the height of your car and how stiff the suspension is.

Old 02-11-2006, 09:42 PM
HCF Member

What are the pro's to getting a coilover suspension? I'm not too interested in lowering the car but those are some good ideas. I just looked into a couple of sets of 16's and they look reasonably priced and they will drop about 8-9 pounds of the weight off each wheel.

Old 02-11-2006, 10:00 PM

I wouldnt get coilovers for a daily driver. It will make the ride very bumpy. Look into Ten S-Techs. theyre well loved here, and will lower the car 1.8 inches.

For intakes look into AEM. For headers check out DC sports ceramic coated. And for exhaust, Greddy Evo2 is probably the most accepted her, but I also like Skunk2 and Apexi.

The more you read here, the more youll find out and learn.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Post