New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Hello! Honda Newbie here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Default Hello! Honda Newbie here!

Hey everyone,
Total Honda newbie here. I happen to be a Toyota enthusiast but since my dad's 1999 Civic LX has neared the end of its short life (290K miles) we were thinking about what options what have with getting a new motor. I really don't know about the difference between the series and what motors fit in what, but one of my friends (who happens to own a honda) said we should consider doing a swap to a more powerful engine (it's pretty hard for the car to make it over hills, especially since it's automatic). We're not looking for something that's a prelude motor or something (learned those were 2.2L) but rather something in the 1.6-1.8L range. Also, if it were smog legal that would be great!

I know that there's ways of getting JDM motors and hunting down certain parts from a USDM motor such as cams, EGR, intake manifold, and exhaust manifold for Toyotas to make them smog legal, but if you guys have suggestions such as JDM motors, if you can include ways of making it smog legal in California that would be awesome! One of the things I was wondering was if the 1999 Civic EX motor (no clue what the name of the motor is) would be a direct swap with the 1999 Civic LX motor.

Also if you could include places I could source motors for a swap that would be great. This swap would be done in my garage with the help of my uncle (experienced mechanic). Thanks for the input!!!

Ed

Old 07-11-2006, 11:59 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Hello! Honda Newbie here!

Really I don' t want to read all that. Welcome to the forum.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:01 PM

use the search function this has been asked many times

Old 07-11-2006, 01:24 PM
HCF Member

damn 290 K ?? on an automatic. How did you do that.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:22 PM
HCF Member

To find places to get the engines, do a search, this has been discussed a lot also, but I can give you a quick rundown of what you might want. Your civic has a d-series engine in it. It is a 1.6l SOHC non-vtec engine. A cheap upgrade would be to a manual vtec d-series (D16y8). That engine has more power, and the manual would make it a good amount quicker. If you really want to step up the power, look into a b-series swap. The b16a2 (from the 1999-2000 Si's) has 160hp and its dohc vtec. If you want even more power, there is the b18c1 (or b18c5 if you have 5-6 grand laying around). It makes 170-180hp (usdm v. jdm), more torque, and will make that civic VERY fast.

Hope that was a good enough quick rundown of some options. (I wont divulge into min-me or frankenstien options right now because that involves different parts from different engines and goes much more in depth...you can just do a search for that also)

And yes, the 1999 civic EX engine (d16y8) will be a direct swap, although I'm not totally positive about tranny issues, but it will add some more oomph to your car, especially with a 5sp.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:46 PM

ORIGINAL: cyberx32

damn 290 K ?? on an automatic. How did you do that.
Had to drive 300-350 miles for the daily commute with some off days here and there.

ORIGINAL: fastman90

To find places to get the engines, do a search, this has been discussed a lot also, but I can give you a quick rundown of what you might want. Your civic has a d-series engine in it. It is a 1.6l SOHC non-vtec engine. A cheap upgrade would be to a manual vtec d-series (D16y8). That engine has more power, and the manual would make it a good amount quicker. If you really want to step up the power, look into a b-series swap. The b16a2 (from the 1999-2000 Si's) has 160hp and its dohc vtec. If you want even more power, there is the b18c1 (or b18c5 if you have 5-6 grand laying around). It makes 170-180hp (usdm v. jdm), more torque, and will make that civic VERY fast.

Hope that was a good enough quick rundown of some options. (I wont divulge into min-me or frankenstien options right now because that involves different parts from different engines and goes much more in depth...you can just do a search for that also)

And yes, the 1999 civic EX engine (d16y8) will be a direct swap, although I'm not totally positive about tranny issues, but it will add some more oomph to your car, especially with a 5sp.
Thanks for replying and giving some input. Don't plan on swapping the auto out to a 5spd as driving 100 miles in traffic with manual is not fun (done it once in my 91 celica GT). Would a swap of a d16y8 line up with the motor mounts and would the tranny bolt up? I'm guessing the harnesses will be a bit different but that wouldn't be a problem since rewiring the ecu harness won't be too much of a problem. I'm guessing the only thing besides that would be swapping out the fuel pump to suffice for the 1.8L's needs.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:42 PM

WELCOME! good luck with the swap and such