New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Hello and... weird noise in engine!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 10:46 AM
Default Hello and... weird noise in engine!

Hello everybody! I just bought a new Honda Civic 2002 EX Coupe from somebody. The car has manual trans., and everything seems to be ok. Last Sunday, I noticed that my car started to make a weird noise. It sounded like a old Chevy's engine kinda noise (not too load, or too bad but noticeable), but just for the first 2 to 3 gears. After that everything seemed to be as quiet as it is suppose to be. I don't know. It wasn't a rattling noise. After i drove it for a while it stopped doing it. I guess the car was warmed up. This morning i noticed that the car was making the same noise. I don't know what it is. I guess it is the oil. I did an oil change with regular oil 5w-30 and a regular oil filter. I just wanted to start with my new car fresh. I asked a lot of people, and all of the told me a different thing about the oil. The car has 75000 miles. What do you guys think? Should i go for high mileage oil?, what about oil additives?, different grade maybe 10w-30?

PLEASE! I NEED HELP BEFORE I DO SOMETHING WORSE TO THE CAR!

I really appreciate your help.

Old 09-19-2006, 04:58 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Hello and... weird noise in engine!

You could always do high mile oil... is the engine shaking or is it just noise? any power loss?

Old 09-19-2006, 05:12 PM

Thanks for replying! No. The engine does NOT shake, i don't have any loss power. I asked a guy at work and he recommends using oil with higher viscocity. What do you think?

Old 09-19-2006, 05:58 PM
HCF Member

upgrade to 10w 50 synthetic. Does this sound stop making the noise after the car is warmed up?

Old 09-19-2006, 06:44 PM
HCF Member

what is viscosity? i dont think i've hear that word before. Is that another meaning for quality? There are sooo many words to learn in english, I never feel perfectly fluent!

Old 09-19-2006, 06:53 PM
HCF Member

I found the word translated on Babelfish... "粘着性" ... i know the word... ability for a fluid to move.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:58 PM

Hello Remmy. Thanks for your help. I did an oil change today. I used 10w40 this time. I got a better filter also. I ran around the block and the noise is still there. I'm really worried about this noise. It seems the noise goes away after the car warms up, but i'm not 100% sure. Some guy told me it could be the interior valves' wear... what do you think? I just want to know what the heck is going on with it...

Thank you...

Old 09-19-2006, 10:02 PM
HCF Member

Can you describe the noise a little better? is it like the engine is knocking?

Old 09-19-2006, 10:02 PM

Do you think synthetic oil is good for a 75000 miles car? I think that could be to drastic to do. Like i said before, i decided to go step by step. I used 10w40 first.

Another thing i noticed was that i added like a bit extra of oil when i did my last oil change (the first i did to the car with 5w30 oil). It was like 2 millimeters above the second mark/dot. Could this have affected it? I barely drove the car (i drove it for 500 miles only with the first oil i used, 5w30). I hope i did not confused you guys!

Thanks a mile!

Old 09-19-2006, 10:04 PM
HCF Member

U said ur car is about 75,000 miles...which means it's about time for a tune-up (new plugs, plug wires, distributor, rotor button, and u said u did the oil) If that doesn't do anything and it is really buggin u, get it checked out by a mech.

Quick Reply: Hello and... weird noise in engine!