New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

hey, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 12:25 AM
HCF Member
Default hey, need some advice

hey, i just got a 1999 2dr 5sp honda civic a few weeks ago and i need some advice. Even though this isnt the exact car i was looking for (was trying to find a vtec lude or teg) i still really like it. the only thing that is a slight downside is that it doesnt have the power that the other cars i looked at had.

I want my car to be faster, but i also to want to turn it into a blatting piece of crap. This summer when i start making money again was planning on adding a DC sports header, and AEM CAI, but i dont know what exhaust to get. I want something that isnt too loud, just has a good deep tone, yet doesnt cost a furtune (something on ebay for under 400 hopefully).

Any advice on what to get/what else would give me easy cheap power gains would be awesome!

Old 04-10-2005, 11:35 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: hey, need some advice

Greddy EVO2, itll run a bit more than 400, but if you dont want a rice sound, and you want a nice, low tone, then you want EVO.

Old 04-10-2005, 12:47 PM
HCF Member

get the greddy evo TT and then get a turbo kit lol

Old 04-10-2005, 12:56 PM
HCF Member

rather have a vic then a teggy lol...

Old 04-10-2005, 05:53 PM
HCF Member

evo2, unless ur plannin on turbo charging, in which case u want the TT

Old 04-10-2005, 07:46 PM
HCF Member

thanks a bunch for all the replies so fast...i was thinking along the lines of either greddy or apexi for exhaust...one more last question...with an intake header and exhaust would i actually be able to notice a fairly good difference in power gains, not just sound (altho the sound would b pretty sweet lol)?

Old 04-10-2005, 08:42 PM
HCF Member

well lets be realistic here ur not going to see your 1/4 time drop by a second........but u will see some gains.......id say expect maybe 15-19 REAL horsepower amongst everything u did.

Old 04-11-2005, 12:29 AM
HCF Member

do it all at the same time, and use quality parts, and youll feel it.

Old 04-14-2005, 09:30 PM
HCF Member

one last question.....besides IHE, what would b some other easy and cheap ways of getting more power out of my d16y8?...i was thinking along the lines of intake manifold, but idk how much that would really help, or something like throttle body? any advice would be awesome

Old 04-14-2005, 11:55 PM

Throttle body, intake manifold and everything in between the header and where your exhaust starts. The basic principle is that in order to maximixe the effectiveness of any part that flows air, exhaust etc that the rest of the system that air or exhaust travels through must be as good or better than the weakest link in the system. Say you have an intake. In order to use the intake to it's potential, you should get a bigger throttle body and a more free flowing intake manifold, thus taking more advantage of parts in combination with each other. If your intake flows more air than your throttle body and intake manifold can flow into the engine effectively, what good did the intake do in the first place? Hope this made sense.

Quick Reply: hey, need some advice