New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

hi... could use some civic advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Default hi... could use some civic advice

first of all let me introduce my self. i have always been a car guy, but mostly around old school BMW's and VW's. i have an 83 3 series (up for sale now) that i had been rebulding, but i can afford the insurance or matinance costs on my high school budget. my uncle saw that issue and gave me an 07 f150. i love my truck, but now its insurance and gas costs that are killing me. that lead me to needing to buy a cheap reliable, cool car. i am selling the BMW and keeping the truck as a back up car.

ok, so i just picked up an 89 civic for 500 bucks(i will post pics of it when i can). it has 150xxx miles on it, and no major problems. it does have an issue with the cooling fan but it never overheated, so no worries. i am having it towed to the shop i work at, fixing the cooling fan, changing all fluids, and to be on the safe side changing the timing belt, cam and crank seals, and the water pump. basically it will be in kick *** condition. it has sat for 2 years because of the fan issue.

im not into the rice scene... i am not a big fan of body kits, neons, or oversized wheels. i am more into the suspension work and actual speed than looks. i think that makes a car cooler than any other car out there. i will try to lighten the car up with carbon fiber body panels (painted the stock beige color) battery relocate when i can afford the oddessy battery, etc. i will lower it and put on some 15 or 16 inch wheels, etc.

now i need to know what kind of power i can get out of my engine. i know full exhaust, intake, and an mpfi swap. what else can i do for cheap to get some extra oomph? i have used the search function, but everything is sort of cryptic. any help is much appreciated

Old 12-16-2007, 07:32 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: hi... could use some civic advice

Check the engine section. There are two write ups in there that will help you out. Just read them and then post back here if they dont get you the info you need.

Welcome to the forum!!!

Old 12-18-2007, 05:55 AM

WELCOME TO THE FOURMS! I WOULD SUGGEST DOING A MOTOR SWAP OFF THE BAT! IF YOU WANT A GOOD SUSPENSION ITS NOT GOING TO BE CHEAP! DO SOME MORE RESEARCH YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK THE CLASSIFIEDS FOR GOOD USED PARTS FOR CHEAP!

Old 12-18-2007, 10:47 AM

hell yeah, another anti-rice....my kinda guy. id have to say go with with a motor swap. or atleast try the D15B swap. 130hp right out of the gate. i have a friend that has one and swears up and down by it. me, B series all the way. anyways welcome to the board!

Old 12-18-2007, 12:26 PM
HCF Member

lol rice? what is rice? wouldn't suspension be considered rice because its looks? and your going to put suspension on your car wouldn't that be considered rice? anyways i would go with a motor and tranny swap.

Old 12-18-2007, 02:48 PM
HCF Member

sounds like a killer car!

what engine you rolling with? D15B1 or B2?...4 speed or 5 speed....

sounds like pretty cool car. ZC swap is pretty good

Old 12-18-2007, 06:04 PM

i am going to get it into good shape, but not do any major anything for a while. it needs cv joints and some little stuff. once that is taken care of, i will be putting some suspension bits on it and i am thinking about buidling a d15b2/d16z6 or y8 mini-me. i used the cr calculator and figured it should be about 10.1:1 compression right off the bat. i dont want to do anything that will screw with the reliability though. the other option is a d15b or d16a6. either way, it will be happening after the car is running properly.

it is a dx with a d15b2 and a 5 speed.