New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

my new car (new to me)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 07:48 PM
Default my new car (new to me)

so today i bought my first car (i paid half, my dad paid the other half).

youre probably wondering exactly what kind of car i bought-
ready?
1998 volkswagen jetta vr6 glx 5 speed.
im in love with the car, especially the engine which is pushing 180 hp.

and we picked it up today, and i totally embarassed myself because its like, my third time ever driving stick and i killed it, a lot, in traffic.
but oh well, theres plenty of time to practice.
ill post pics tomorrow when its light outside when i can take pics.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:03 PM
Default RE: my new car (new to me)

i think u're in the wrong forum

notice the forum's name is 'Honda Civic Forum'

Old 12-01-2007, 09:04 PM

im not the only one who doesnt have a civic...

Old 12-01-2007, 09:28 PM
HCF Member

Good point he doesn't have a civic but doesn't mean he can't be a member. Sweet car can't wait to see pictures. Is it the newer body style or the old boxier body style?

Old 12-01-2007, 10:10 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: warrenG

but why would you join it though[&:]?

Anyways
Welcome to the Forum. Lets see the pictures, and don't worry after a little practice, you will be clutching like a pro in no time

Old 12-01-2007, 10:27 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: civic_burns_all

ORIGINAL: warrenG

Anyways
Welcome to the Forum. Lets see the pictures, and don't worry after a little practice, you will be clutching like a pro in no time
well one..he has been looking for a civic for the past 4 months..

2..he had a question...

and..its a cool place to post...thats why most people stay after they sell/crash/pawn their civics....

Old 12-02-2007, 06:45 AM

ORIGINAL: 95civic1.6l

Good point he doesn't have a civic but doesn't mean he can't be a member. Sweet car can't wait to see pictures. Is it the newer body style or the old boxier body style?
its the older one...but i still love it. i kinda like the older look anyway. ill post pictures today, once i get outside. lol.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:47 AM

ORIGINAL: civic_burns_all

Anyways
i joined because i liked the atmosphere...and chris is right i was looking for a civic at the time. but this was a better deal so i went for the jetta.

yeah, im going out today to practice. i need it. lol. i just dont give it enough gas when im letting out the clutch, so a little bit of practice out in the country and i think ill be fine.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:09 AM
HCF Member

Just remember...too much gas is better then not enough. I remember when I first learned how to drive a stick. My friends friend had a Geo Metro. It was 3 cylinders of pure muscle! The thing was a piece, I think thats the way you should learn though. Learn and burn someone elses clutch (just kidding).

Not sure if you know a whole lot about those VW's but man they have an awesome selection of aftermarket parts. They make ridiculous turbo kits where that thing can be making monsterous power.

If you really want to get custom with that car shave all the emblems off it and slap a TDI in the engine bay and throw a bigger turbo on there and see if you can find a shop to reprogram that computer to increase the fuel map and pressure, get some bigger injectors and fuel pump....oh man. The combo of diesel and turbo= GOBS of torque. It would be a total sleeper since most TDI's are known for fuel economy. That block is going to be able to handle just about any boost you send to it. They are made stronger since they have to be able to handle the pressure that the pistons create in order to have an explosion.

Ok this is me just going off on a seperate tanget...but yeah thats a cool car and you can do lots to it when you have the money. =)

Old 12-05-2007, 08:19 PM

i wont do any serious engine work until im off in college where my parents wont know...lol.
but i got the clutch down now, havent killed it for 4 days straight so i think im doing ok. my gears are pretty clost though so its easy to choose third instead of first then kill it when you try to take off.

i have a vr6, not the 1.8 T, so i would have to put a turbo on instead of purely replacing it because it doesnt have a turbo to replace. and youre totally right the engine is heavy, but heavy also means strong (and what its made out of too) which means i can do more pressure and stuff.
its also really fast the pull in 5th gear is really, really good. i was out practicing in the country around my house and got it up to 90 in no time.
but ill post pictures, once i get home before dark...i havent gotten home before dark all week.

Quick Reply: my new car (new to me)