New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New Guy

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Default New Guy

Hey Everyone!

I'm new to the Honda/Civic scene and really don't know much about these little hot rods. I recently inherited a 95 dx coupe with over 200,000 miles on it and I'm looking for a bit of advice.

I have looked over the site a bit and have got the basic upgrades down but I am a bit worried about putting more power into an engine with 200k on it. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to bring life back before I start modding it?

The car runs like a dream and starts with no problems, does not burn oil or even smoke when I nail it. I am in the process of getting the parts for a tune up and to change the timing belt. Is there anything else that I should look for?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Old 12-09-2008, 01:44 PM

I was just wondering if I did something wrong or something. I posted this a few days ago and I still have not gotten a response. What's the deal? Just wanted to make sure that I'm doing this right.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:59 PM
HCF Member

Yes, you're doing fine. Sometimes threads just get over looked or just bad timing. As far as the motor condition, did you ask the previous owner for all of the maintenance documents and information. First thing I would do is perform a compression test to see what condition the internals really are in. If each cylinder is good across the board, then I see no reason to stop modding. A good seafoam and a tune-up shouldn't hurt though. Plus, d-series longblocks can be purchased relatively cheap these days.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:56 PM
HCF Member

my suggestion.

grab a B16 and build that in your shed/house/garage to be ridiculously fast or whatever you choose.

keep the D series as your driver until you finish the B.
then keep the D for when you blow the B :-p

Old 12-10-2008, 01:17 PM

ej6-

I am in the process of getting everything together for a tune up but it is going slowly due to lack of funds. Thanks for the advice, I have been trying to find someone at the shop I work at to help me with a compression test but have had no such luck.

What is seafoam? I have heard of it before but I don't know what it is.

Thanks for the advice!

redhotchevy-

I have thought about doing a motor swap but don't have the funds, time or work space to do it now. I figure I can do a lot of research until I do so that I can be well informed about what I need to do. Plus I will know a bit more about what I want power-wise. I did not know that a b series engine would fit my car. I have heard that it is a pretty versatile platform with a lot of potential. Hopefully I can make this red beast my new hotrod!

Thanks!

Last edited by Loki95Dx; 12-10-2008 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Brain Fart!
Old 12-10-2008, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by redhotchevy2000
my suggestion.

grab a B16 and build that in your shed/house/garage to be ridiculously fast or whatever you choose.

keep the D series as your driver until you finish the B.
then keep the D for when you blow the B :-p
That seems to be everyone's solution to everything... "throw a B16 in it."
B16's are the most overrated stupid engine.

If you're gonna build an engine just buy a D16 and build that on the side. B16's cost a lot more than D16's.

For example, say you have a budget of $4000.
You could either buy a spare D16Z6 and build it on the side and then turbo the crap out of it... or you could buy a B16, all the stuff required for the swap, and maybe just build it... if you're lucky and find really good deals.
Which one's going to be faster? Hands down, the D16.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
That seems to be everyone's solution to everything... "throw a B16 in it."
B16's are the most overrated stupid engine.

If you're gonna build an engine just buy a D16 and build that on the side. B16's cost a lot more than D16's.

For example, say you have a budget of $4000.
You could either buy a spare D16Z6 and build it on the side and then turbo the crap out of it... or you could buy a B16, all the stuff required for the swap, and maybe just build it... if you're lucky and find really good deals.
Which one's going to be faster? Hands down, the D16.

You make a pretty good case and that is what I was thinking in the first place. I was thinking of basically either keeping this engine, or finding another that is in good shape and building that one up. I know that I want to get a good amount of power out of it without sacrificing reliability. This is my daily driver and will stay that way for a while.

Where can I look to source a D16? I have looked on google a bit but have not really found anything that I thought was legit.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Old 12-10-2008, 04:53 PM