New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New guy

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 10:39 AM
Default New guy

Hi My name is Les. I just registered and this is my first post.
I have a 2002 Civic that I bought from my son. I bought it to commute to work, which is 61 miles from home. Since we moved down to the ranch, which is on the coast in Texas, I have been driving my 2006 Ford F-150. It has been eating me up on fuel costs @ 17mpg. This Civic is much easier on the fuel as I am getting 38mpg.
I really like the Civic. It has the 1.7L engine, a standard transmission, 4 doors, electric windows, good AC, all the comforts of home.
It picks up a lot more road noise than my Ford but that is my only complaint.
Thank you and I look forward to participating on this forum.
Les

Old 06-02-2016, 03:26 PM
HCF Member

civics have always had excessive road noise because of the lack sound proofing like luxury vehicles have,it is an economy car. you can ad dynamat and jute but that will also ad weight to the car. do what i do and just turn up the radio.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Hi Les, welcome to the forum! Forum like this is the best way to make new friends and learn something new about a passion that runs deep. Hope you stick around and find it useful.

Old 06-03-2016, 07:10 AM
Default Noisy

Originally Posted by itburnswhenIP
civics have always had excessive road noise because of the lack sound proofing like luxury vehicles have,it is an economy car. you can ad dynamat and jute but that will also ad weight to the car. do what i do and just turn up the radio.
Hi itburnswhenIP,
Ya it's been a while since I've driven a small car and this is my first front wheel drive one. I think some of the noise is because of the rear end being so light; no differential in the back.
My son bought a new Civic and both the radio and noise level are very much improved over the 2002 model.
I was reluctant to have a front wheel drive car because of past experience driving them. I will say the civic drives and handles much better than I remember the early front wheel drive cars. I really like the standard transmission, too.
Thanks,
Les

Old 06-03-2016, 07:11 AM
Default New Guy

Originally Posted by carid
Hi Les, welcome to the forum! Forum like this is the best way to make new friends and learn something new about a passion that runs deep. Hope you stick around and find it useful.
Thanks carid,
I appreciate it.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:32 AM
HCF Member

Welcome! Hello from Las Vegas!

Old 06-08-2016, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by gohonda
Welcome! Hello from Las Vegas!
Thanks backacha, gohonda.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:24 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Ranchles
Hi itburnswhenIP,
Ya it's been a while since I've driven a small car and this is my first front wheel drive one. I think some of the noise is because of the rear end being so light; no differential in the back.
My son bought a new Civic and both the radio and noise level are very much improved over the 2002 model.
I was reluctant to have a front wheel drive car because of past experience driving them. I will say the civic drives and handles much better than I remember the early front wheel drive cars. I really like the standard transmission, too.
Thanks,
Les
really ? the older generation civics actually had way better double wishbone suspensions. the 01-05 have the cheaper mcpherson strut suspension. alot of the road noise has to do with what tires your using also.

Last edited by itburnswhenIP; 06-21-2016 at 12:27 PM.