New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:17 PM

Well I ended up with the 2003. If anything I could just do an engine and trans swap? I just loved how it road and the fact is was in much better shape then the 00. I know the 7th gen cars do not have much aftermarket support, but I figure, if anything I can do suspension mods and make it handle like its on rails. One thing that Im curious about is why didnt the aftermarket take off with the 7th gen like it did with the past civics?

Old 10-09-2010, 12:06 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Civicmaster1997
Well I ended up with the 2003. If anything I could just do an engine and trans swap? I just loved how it road and the fact is was in much better shape then the 00. I know the 7th gen cars do not have much aftermarket support, but I figure, if anything I can do suspension mods and make it handle like its on rails. One thing that Im curious about is why didnt the aftermarket take off with the 7th gen like it did with the past civics?
you can do an engine swap, but it definitely won't be as easy as if you went for a 2000 or earlier.....If it was in much better than the 99, personally I would've just waited for another one to come around.

It didn't take off because they changed a ton of components to things that aren't easy to improve. Like the engine. it's great if you want to putter around town, but it's a waste to modify it. You have to spend a ton of money to get minimal power gains.

They also changed the suspension setup from a double wishbone to MacPherson struts.

I dunno, it's just a lot of these little changed that transformed it from a great tuner, great family car, and an easy car to work on and modify to your heart's content....to really just a great family car.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:02 AM

I actually just joined another forum called 7thgenhonda. It seems like the 7th gen civics are actually starting to catch on. Though there is only one company that makes cams for the D17. And from what I understand the stage 1 cam can be run with out having to get any additional fuel systems and what not.

http://www.dezod.com/pd_crower_stage.cfm

There are some amazing 7thgens out there. I would guess that they might be catching on because they are becoming more affordable.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:39 PM

Well heres the scoop. the 2003 I was settling on I passed on. I was not 100% commited to that car as in I didnt put any money on it. And the reason Im passing is I guess that year bracket 01-05 had auto trans issues. I did find a dark green EX 1999 with the auto that Im gonna look at tomorrow.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:30 PM
August 2010 ROTM

Honestly I think you'll regret it if you don't just wait for a manual... They're so much more fun to drive and can actually handle more power. That and people will laugh at you if you upgrade an automatic... But if you do get the auto, down the line you can always upgrade to a manual trans. It's not too hard to do. Good call on passing on the '03, though.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by jwmm04
Honestly I think you'll regret it if you don't just wait for a manual... They're so much more fun to drive and can actually handle more power. That and people will laugh at you if you upgrade an automatic... But if you do get the auto, down the line you can always upgrade to a manual trans. It's not too hard to do. Good call on passing on the '03, though.
Unfortunatly this is something I cannot wait on for long because my son is due anytime now. So a manual swap will probably be the way i go. At least I found an an EX sedan. Which is what i want over all.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:55 PM

Ok I just picked it up and Im home how with the Civic. One thing Im trying to fix is the right rear door seal. It looks like it was pulled out of its grove.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:27 AM
August 2010 ROTM

Congrats on the new Civic man! Lets see some pics! You like it so far?

Old 10-13-2010, 06:44 PM

Oh yeah its awesome. Sorry not pictures yet, I was working, then I had to get a new prop rod for the hood cuzz the original was broke in half and then I spent the evening with my fiancee getting ready for the wedding on Saturday. Ill get pictures ASAP. I having forgotten you guys. Now being I have a 2000 Mustang with the cobra IRS and a 1988 Fiero Formula Im used to really good handling cars. I was shocked with the Civic, even with stock size tires and stock ride hight this thing actually handles quite well. I can see room for improvement though. Where should i start? Strut bars? Sway bars? Springs? Also cosmetically, the car has chrome trim around the side windows, leave it? Or Paint it? The color of the car is called Clover green, and the interior is a tannish color.

Last edited by Civicmaster1997; 10-13-2010 at 06:49 PM.