New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New Member - Initial Advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Default New Member - Initial Advice

First of all Hi,

I'm a new member as you might guess, and technically I suppose I don't belong here, as I don't YET own a Civic. Then again, that's the main point of this post.

I'm looking at getting a 1.4i hatchback (98-00 model), simply because this is my first car, and so I probably won't get insured on anything with a bigger engine. Naturally I'm thinking of starting with a few basic mods too, and wanted to run these by people and see if they have any better suggestions. The mods I have in mind currently are:

- Replace wheels with 15" Konig Heliums (silver, 10.8lb each) or 15" Rota Slipstreams (silver, 11.8lb each)
- Replace airbox with a CDA carbon airbox
- Replace backbox with a twin-pipe carbon Rage backbox
and (possibly) lower on K2 coilover shocks (I found these on their website quite cheap, but they seem to have disappeared now)

As you can see the emphasis is on speed/handling rather than fancy mods, but I realise there's only so much I can get away with being so young. If anyone can suggest anything which would be more effective than what I've listed so far, that's be great!

thanks very much guys,

sam

Old 03-07-2005, 02:56 PM
Default RE: New Member - Initial Advice

If you want to go for superb handling, you can get the same results with a good set of dampers and drop springs rather than shelling out for coilovers. Most people with coilovers find that they don't eve actually adjust their ride height, and a solid set of springs over some good struts will hold up better in the long run.

Old 03-07-2005, 03:31 PM

hey, don't limit yourself because you're young. i'm only 17 and i've built up my civic twice (got jacked once). springs are a good alternative, but i evenly adjusted my coilovers when i installed the and it rides like a dream. i think that i would find a cold air intake though versus replacing the stock airbox with a carbon one. while it would look tight as hell and is original, you just won't get the same performance as a cold air. also, what is this backbox you speak of?

Old 03-07-2005, 05:04 PM

The back box i was looking at canbe found at

http://www.motormania.co.uk/product_...?intDescID=629

it's not a very good picture though, and I've seen it advertised cheaper (not sure if you can get a slash cut tip, might be nicer if you can).
Also trying to find some seriously light rims that are more available in the UK, but the Konigs seem hard to find,although the Rotas are easily found and relatively cheap from right place. Any siggestions are good, I'll have about a grand to go on the first set of mods as mentioned above, maybe a little more depending on wheel costs. Not sure what induction kit I'd go for, as I saw a magazine test about 10 out, of which the CDA was easily the best, and added about 11bhp to the test car (Pug 106 Gti from memory).

I'm also very conscious that I want proper quality parts, as a lot of the things in popular magazines (Max power etc.) seem to be a bit s**t. Anyway, carry on guys...

Old 03-07-2005, 06:07 PM
HCF Member

I always called those exhaust tips. You dong uk'ers. Anyways welcome to the site and don't forget tot stick around. HEHE I am a new member myself so this sounds funny.

Old 03-07-2005, 07:37 PM
HCF Member

the backbox is the muffler itself, what we would call an axle-back exhaust.

Old 03-07-2005, 10:40 PM

ahh, i've only heard...well...axle-back or muffler

Old 03-08-2005, 04:38 AM

Hehe didn't realise you were all yanks! I just know it as a back box, rather than a full exhaust system. Exhaust tips are something different here - they clip onto the old pipe coming off the backbox, so it looks like you've got an upgraded backbox, but you've not really. Any more ideas about what springs/wheels might be appropriate?

Old 03-08-2005, 03:37 PM

You wanna get a set of 16s or 17 inch wheels and get the car lowered onto them because it will look alot better than 15s trust me. i have 16s nd lowered ness on my civic 4 door hatchabck and it looks pretty nice...i think personally

[IMG]local://upfiles/2309/7140251360C3408EABE3DBF708A360F7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-08-2005, 04:01 PM
HCF Member

I want a civic four door hatch...Where do I need to move to!!

Quick Reply: New Member - Initial Advice