New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

New member need HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 05:40 PM
Default New member need HELP!!!

I have a 1996 Honda Civic EX coupe 5spd

Mods:AEM cold air intake, AEM unorthodox pully, AEM undrive pullys.

17" ADR Rims white with polished face (8 spoke, planning to change to 5-6 spoke Black with polished lip)

First off my car is really really slow! lol!

I would love some advice on what i should do, i would love to make the car turbo but do not want to turbo the stock motor cause my frind did that and barely beats my bros 90 300zx N/A

What i would like to do first is either build my engine or swap but i have no idea what to do..any ideas??

Old 03-17-2006, 07:16 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: New member need HELP!!!

I thought that 300ZXs were turboed stock? But anyway you already have a SOHC VTEC engine, so you could build that motor up. I think you can make around 300HP max (i could be wrong) with a turbo on that motor. You would have to rebuild the engine with forged internals and such before you could get the turbo. You could also get an engine swap. For boost, i think the best engine would be the B18C1 with a B16 head.

Old 03-17-2006, 07:21 PM
Default RE: New member need HELP!!!

What you should do? Me, I would drop the 17" mags and put some nice clean "light" 15" mags on your ride....but that's just me. I like the look of most ADR's though.

What you should do depends on what your goals and budget are, as well as the timeline you have to complete your project.

If you want something that's going to be very streetable and easy to drive you could just put a well built turbo kit on the engine you have and have it"tuned" by pro's on a dyno. I'm assuming you have a D series engine so you could easily pick up the pieces you need off of Ebay for about a grand and add anywhere from 60 - 80 hp but be careful because I don't think the rods in the D can handle more than 8-10psi, if that.

However, if you want something that will eat a Porsche GT3 for lunch be prepared for an engine swap and to part with some large dollars. If you want big power, then get a B16, or better yet, a B18C, or you could go LS VTEC.....although this can be an expensive engine and reliability 'can' be an issue if not built correctly. Go B16 or B18C and you will probably be very happy. (I recommend B18C because the block is very strong and boost friendly). If you are building a turbo motor it's best to build it from the bottom up. Get good strong rods that are recommended for high hp apps. Lower compression pistons are a good investment too.

Your best bet is to go to a local 'reputable' performance shop and talk to the guys who have built turbo engines and ask them what works and what doesn't. A lot of these guys like to talk since they take pride in their work. They can probably even set you up with a ride 'as a PASSENGER' in some cars they've done so you will know what to expect.

The above is what I did and the shop was a big help. I've got a B16 that I will be gutting and setting up for boost soon. My shop recommended I get Darton wet sleeves, Weisco 8.8:1 pistons, and Eagle H-beam rods to really button up the bottom end. I haven't settled on a turbo package yet, but with my bottom end I have a large boost range I can use....from nothing to 25psi. i will probably pick a turbo that is most efficient at about 16psi though.

Do your homework, ask knowledgeable folk, and then implement your plan. Good luck!