New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Newb here! On a race team! Show me the ropes....

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 12:43 AM
Default Newb here! On a race team! Show me the ropes....

Hey guys. My name is Fred. I have a 1989 Chevy Cavalier. I only have cold air and exhause (AEM muffler). It's not the fastest thing on the road especially not right now since the starter went out. Our race team is Insane Racing. We are not very famous at all but we hope to get better. One of our members has an 03 Focus with cold air, exhaust, a wing, tint, etc. its pretty cool. another has an 05 sentra SeR. Another has an S10. I want a civic really bad. I'm looking for a 95. I need to spend less than 2000. Anyhow, Just trying to get ideas before i get it so i'll be ready to go. I'll get you guys a pic of my car. I have a Z24 body kit on it. Just to let you know, i'm not one of those kinds of people that i have come in contact w/ that say they have a whole bunch of **** and dont have anything at all. I'll let you know when i get stuff. This board is cool!!!

Old 06-03-2005, 06:15 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Newb here! On a race team! Show me the ropes....

First off...Welcome to HCF! Secondly, good choice on thinking about switching from the Gayvalier to a civic. Heres my advice, do with it what you will.. You said you can only spend 2 grand? I suggest you spend 1000-1500 on a civic whos engine is on its last leg. Sell that cavalier and drop a k20 engine into that civic. You'll never look back.

Old 06-03-2005, 08:35 AM

welcome to HCF! i agree with forty04 civ's kick ***! my friend has a cavalier, the first time i drove it i poped it up on a crub and tookout both tiers and rims...ahh good times. anyway again, WELCOME!

Old 06-03-2005, 09:45 PM

yeah, i used to have a beretta gt, it wasn't really fast at all but it ran for 265,000 miles- the last 40 or so with a bent valve and no oil. oops. be careful to put the right size pushrods back in if you tear the engine down.

there really isn't much aftermarket for GM's sport compacts. the only small GM car i would even buy would be another fiero gt, you can put an LS-1 or 350 in the back of one, then you have some aftermarket.

as far as the cheap civic goes, i'd have to agree with forty04, try to find a lightweight hatchback or del sol that needs a new motor, and give it one, heh heh. honestly, i'd hold on to the cavvy though- it will give you reliable transportation while you build up the civic, and cavvy's from that time period don't sell for enough to bother with it anyway.

Old 06-04-2005, 04:51 PM
HCF Member

You guys are so childish... you wonder why others make fun of civic drivers so much. He comes in and says what he has and that he would like a civic also... and the first post is a chevy bash. Grow up... seriously. Remember, you drive a civic (same catergory as a cavi)... not a Ferrari

Old 06-04-2005, 07:41 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

You guys are so childish... you wonder why others make fun of civic drivers so much. He comes in and says what he has and that he would like a civic also... and the first post is a chevy bash. Grow up... seriously. Remember, you drive a civic (same catergory as a cavi)... not a Ferrari
its a personal opinion man, chill out. I gave him my view on his situation, isn't that what forums are for?

jesus..

Old 06-04-2005, 08:38 PM
HCF Member

well...id say get a 5th gen...theyre cheaper than the 6th gen and have the same tuning capabilities. i dunno if you will be able to get one for less than 2k...but if you look hard maybe :-/. as for an engine swap...go with a B series. they are drop ins in the 5th and 6th gens and have the biggest aftermarket of any honda/acura engine. a B18C would be your best bet...a B18C5 would make an excellent choice. the problem is you're not getting any engine for under 1000 bucks...definately not a B18C and ESPECIALLY not the K20 that Forty was talking about. search around the forum and you should find everything you are looking for.

Old 06-04-2005, 10:41 PM
HCF Member

Polo speaks blasphemous word which will make lepers of us all. As for you Fred, good call on ditching the Cav. How old are you BTW? As for your civic, 4th and 5th gens are the way to be. I think you're going to have a tough time finding something decent with 2K for a 95, that's why you should grab a 4th gen shell and drop a B in there, but good luck with it man. Is that S10 in your group an Xtreme?

Old 06-04-2005, 11:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Nail I3unny

well...id say get a 5th gen...theyre cheaper than the 6th gen and have the same tuning capabilities.
Not to mention so good looking