New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Old guy on board! :D

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Default Old guy on board! :D

Hey guys,
Im an old Honda affectionado and just recently got back into the Honda cars after a long time away due to the need for big room and big power to haul the family and toys.
I got my first Honda -which was my first car- back in 1987 and it was a 1978 Accord HB. LOVED that old beater; had to put a motor in it since it was already at 240K and abused, but it never let me down after that.

I've had every model of Honda except for the newer 'trucks' and 'suvs'
But Im especially fond of the Prelude which I've had 4 of. I currently have a 88' prelude which is my commuter hoopdy and we just bought a 2000 Civic EX 4 door for the fuel economy since every other car we have gets a whopping 14 MPG. ~So thats why Im here, the Civic! Its a Great car just like every other Honda I've had but the power leaves something to be desired! I thought getting a EX 5-spd. it would be respectable, but *YAWN*!

So I just ordered a SRI because I've seen a friends Focus SVT with a CAI suck up water like a straw and toast the motor. I dont want to have to worry about that. I changed the cap, rotor, wires and plugs but that was just maintainance and had little, if any, effect on performance.

What else can I do to improve the pep? I dont want a ricer sounding exhaust.....

TIA

Old 09-07-2005, 10:00 PM
Default RE: Old guy on board! :D

DC header. Everyone round here love the Greddy Evo2 exhaust, lighter wheels. Someone will be along with more ideas for ya.

Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!

Old 09-07-2005, 10:00 PM
HCF Member

thats why I got a sri. BUT you gotta D16Y8 VTEC there! Lots of stuff to do with that.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:09 PM

Wow, thanks for the fast replies guys!

Im open to any suggestions, I just dont want to compromise the durability of the car and I dont want it to sound ricer. i.e. No "brappy" sounding exhaust and no turbos or chargers LOL! My wife drives this car alot and will flip!

Im amazed; My old 1988 Prelude SI with 175K miles on it is MUCH quicker than a 2000 Vtec with only 80K on it... [&:]

Is my 2000 EX motor a DOHC?

Im going to add a front strut brace, but I dont want to put one in the trunk, will a LOWER brace do the same to compliment the front for better handling? (Im used to my 4WS Prelude so the civic feels like a tanker )

Old 09-07-2005, 10:12 PM
HCF Member

Im not sure about cams... BUT if you are going to go for struts... grab a kit with a rear strut too. To see what I mean, grab a front and rear strut kit and put the front stru on first, drive around for a day or two. Then put on the back strut.... youll notice a BIG difference.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:16 PM
HCF Member

exhaust wise I would say Greddy Evo 2 or a magnaflow...

Old 09-08-2005, 01:12 AM

[sm=welcomesign.gif] TO HCF.

Another member getting only 14mpg, and with gas prices the way they are look how smart we are, lol.

I also vote for greddy evo2. Deff not rice souning and actually fairly quite, not stock quiet but performance sound wise quiet.

Old 09-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

Welcome aboard!

Shop around, and search this forum, theres a ton of usefull konwledge floating around

Old 09-08-2005, 05:46 PM
HCF Member

Welcome to HCF!

Old 09-08-2005, 07:54 PM

Welcome to HCF. plrnty of ideas and help here. My buddy had a 88' 4WS Prelude back in 91'. It was a pretty sweet car. I think they had 2.0 DOHC. He slammed it at one point and it really handled. But 4WS is not good in snow.

Quick Reply: Old guy on board! :D