New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

picking up a 2000 si on tuesday

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 10:55 AM
Default picking up a 2000 si on tuesday

So I've always been an american car guy I own a lifted ford explorer and 2004 mustang cobra but I needed something to commute 45 miles one way to work so naturally I decided I needed something the gets good gas mileage. A Honda. Now being a ford guy I never really thought id own a honda but I figure the hell with it. They are good cars. So I found a 2000 si. All black with black interior and and rsx type s black leather seat swap. its lowered and has an intake and exhaust. And its very very clean all around for its age I was really surprised. Its runs great drives perfect. BUT, the only thing that has me worried is that its not the original motor. It has an LS non vtec. I brought one of my buddies who is into hondas to look at it with me and he says that its not gonna be a problem but it still worries me. I'm just afraid due to the fact that it doesn't have the motor that came in the car its gonna be harder to replace a part because I'm not gonna be able to figure out what part I need. Im supposed to be picking the car up on tuedsay. I figured I post here and see what you guys think. I just want the car to be reliable to get me back and forth to work everyday. I know things go wrong with cars and that the car runs goods now. But down the road I don't want a headache cause it not the right motor for the car. Any input will be great. Just wanna make sure I'm not making a bad decsion. Thanks in advance guys.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:20 AM

Engine parts will be from a 94-95 Integra LS or 96-01 Integra LS, with the year range depending on what year the engine is. This information can be found stamped on the front of the head. Everything non-engine or transmission related will be from 99-00 Civic Si.

Also, most parts have their part numbers stamped on them... so you can just go by that number.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:28 AM

well thats good to hear and sounds thank you... this is all new to me lol. im a car guy and know my stuff but not about hondas. its time to learn some new stuff i guess. and is there anything i should watch out for because of the different motor in the car? im sorry for asking so many questions. just wanna make sure im gonna be okay.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:31 AM

Uh... just gotta make sure the swap was done right. See if there is a check engine light on, make sure it has the right ECU, look under the hood to see that everything looks solidly in place. The original engine was a B-series too though so the swap was a simple one and it is more likely that it was done right.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:39 AM

yeah there was no engine light and my buddy looked at it pretty good he said that the swap looked like it was done pretty well. the guy that is selling it did tell me it needs a radiator and i noticed that it needs an upper motor mount which i guess is common for them to go bad from what i hear? everything else in the car seemed solid from what we could see.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:46 AM

yea that's minor stuff, those motor mounts go bad all the time on people. get a CXRacing radiator on ebay... they're cheap and good

Old 11-14-2010, 11:56 AM

okay. thanks man i really appreciate the input ill be picking it up on tuesday then. and ill be back on here.