New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.
View Poll Results: A poll
i dont know what powder coating is
18.18%
i prefer powder coating
54.55%
i prefer paint
27.27%
just leave the parts stock
0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

powder coating vs painting

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 01:41 PM
HCF Member
Default powder coating vs painting

I recently invested in a new powder coating system for my small fab shop.. some of my customers prefer paint to powdercoat, even after i explain the benifits to them.... how do you feel?

Old 03-01-2007, 01:46 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: powder coating vs painting

i voted paint, simply because it's easier to get the right shade of color you're wanting. and if the paint isn't right the first time, it's a little easier to repaint than to repowder coat the item. plus on a vehicle, most of the body is painted, so it would be slightly more difficult to match the color with powdercoating. but powdercoating does hold up better, so each of them have their pros and cons

Old 03-01-2007, 02:02 PM
HCF Member

i can certinally see your point... but what about things like wiper arms and what not.. i've seen lots of cars that have outrageous colors on them so they stand out... and where thats outside and exposed to the sun.. i would think that this would be the perfect place for some PC.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:37 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i vote powder coated just cause it holds up alot beter than paint...

BUT like he said..... with paint you can get any color you want...... powder coating doesnt have a bunch of colors.....

and painting is alot easier for larger items!!!!!!!!

but for something thats gonna take a beating or touched every day id go coated.... but something thats not touched much paint should be fine.....

and best part about powder coating is it seeks out the metal so thiers no missed spots! no overspray! and after its bakedyour golden

nothing nicer than a powder coated frame on a old school wip

Old 03-01-2007, 02:42 PM
HCF Member

powdercoats can have any color choice that paint can, but, it's a lot harder to color coordinate and match colors than if you were to use ordinary paint. but PCing does have much better durability for things such as wiper arms and such. PC would be a better choice for the wiper arms if they were done in black, then you wouldn't have to worry about the paint chipping or fading tremendously like you would with paint, but it's easier to paint them over than to rePC them like i mentioned about

Old 03-01-2007, 03:05 PM
HCF Member

i really havent had any problems re coating or changing colors.. i just chuck 'em back in the blast cabinet... then recoat.. so far i havent had any failures in my coating.. i was thinking about doing my wiper arms in yellow.. but im thinking it might look funny, black and machined wheels, old faded red body paint, and yellow arms... it was just a passing thought tho...

Old 03-01-2007, 06:35 PM
HCF Member

please don't do that to yourself, powdercoat them black, please

Old 03-03-2007, 07:28 AM
HCF Member

i could certinally do that... but i would like something that pops.. maby black with metalic flake...

Old 03-04-2007, 03:43 PM
HCF Member

i just ordered a bunch of chrome and "anodized" powders, red, blue, teal, and some other stuff... maby an anodized red would go along with the rest of the car...
I'm really surprised that there havent been more replys on this one...

Old 03-04-2007, 06:36 PM

i never understood why people would want to draw attention to something like windshield wipers or the hood squirters...are these items u really want to pop...to me i would rather hide or blend these in..

Quick Reply: powder coating vs painting