New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Preformance mods and insurance

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 10:53 AM
Default Preformance mods and insurance

Hi,

Well I am new to cars. I just bought my first civic and its kind of my learning car. I would like to do some preformance mods but they have to be sublet or else the insurance will be up my *** (aka no turbos or super chargers). I am going to put on a cold air intake but what else could I do to give me a little more power? Its a 98 Civic EX 4 door. Some one recommend new exaust headers and a new "chip" althought I dont really know what that is. What would you guys recommend?

Thanks

Jeff

Old 09-29-2005, 10:57 AM
Default RE: Preformance mods and insurance

You could always do a few suspension mods such as lowering it a bit, lighter wheels, low profile tires, and even do a rear disc brake conversion.

Old 09-29-2005, 11:04 AM

ORIGINAL: ngoti8tor

You could always do a few suspension mods such as lowering it a bit, lighter wheels, low profile tires, and even do a rear disc brake conversion.

Hi,

Well i am putting coilovers in and new front struts to go with them. I will probably get new rims I don't know what to look for or whats a good size. Money isn't really an issue but I don't want to throw tons of cash. I'm already planning a lip kit/house of kolor paint job but don't know what to do in terms of performance

Old 09-29-2005, 11:12 AM

IMO, 16's are the best all around size in order to keep your ride comfort plus give you performance. 17's or 18's may look nice, but if this is your daily driver and you drive a lot, you may still want some comfort.

Old 09-29-2005, 11:19 AM

I agree with ngoti8to here 16's for a dd are definately the best, as for lightweight, Rota, Volk and Enkei are all known for being light yet durable wheels. Header and exhaust will definately help performance, and a chip would be an addition or replacement of your ECU.

Old 09-29-2005, 11:21 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

^I second that. PLus, i have 16's on my car, and i think they look pretty good. Just big enough ya know. PLus once its lowered they'll be perfect size. 16x7 or 6.5 seems to be the perferred way to go.

Also, along with that Intake, you should toss in a header, high flow cat, and cat-back exhaust to make sure that motor is breathing efficiently both ways.

btw, what the insurance company doesnt know, won't hurt them

Old 09-29-2005, 11:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Forty04

^I second that. PLus, i have 16's on my car, and i think they look pretty good. Just big enough ya know. PLus once its lowered they'll be perfect size. 16x7 or 6.5 seems to be the perferred way to go.

Also, along with that Intake, you should toss in a header, high flow cat, and cat-back exhaust to make sure that motor is breathing efficiently both ways.

btw, what the insurance company doesnt know, won't hurt them
That's true but if for some reason I hit and killed some one (not that I plan on doing that) and they come and see I have a turbo then they won't cover the claim and I can get stuck paying for the rest of my life. Also what is an ECU?

Thanks
Jeff

Old 09-29-2005, 12:46 PM

ECU is the computer that governs your car, for example, your fuel maps(how much fuel and when), your rev limiter, speed governer(though don't think Hondas have them), spark and ignition timing, etc. things like that are all handled by the ECU, with the help of other things.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:12 PM
HCF Member

hell, they arent going to come to your house and lok under your hood. Id do it anyway and not tell them. Welcome to the forum.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:49 PM

My insurance company has NO idea I've been changing ANYTHING on my EX. And I have NO intention of EVER telling them.

Quick Reply: Preformance mods and insurance