New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

Recently Bought a Civic.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 05:46 PM
Default Recently Bought a Civic.

Hey Guys,

I recently bought a Honda Civic, 2000 EX that is. It's not in the greatest condition, however I was lucky enough to find a Civic where I'm located; especially a used one that isn't incredibly overpriced and with over 130,000 miles on it. Although it was a great buy, it still did have it's problems -- not because it was a Honda of course, but because the previous owner I believe didn't take very well care of this car. It also has a Rebuilt Title to it, but it didn't have much damage, only a fender-bender.

The main problem that I have with it is the power steering. It seems very tight and won't pull back to it's original placement, which to me isn't that huge of a problem but I'd very much like to get that fixed. My Dad's a mechanic, and has been working with cars for more than 40 years, however he doens't know anything about Japanese, Korean or any kind of Asian cars, mainly Americanized Cars; I'm out of luck with him helping me with this problem.

At first, I thought it might've been a power-streering fluid problem, as the fluid has turned a brownish color; a sign that it's going bad, or so I've been led to believe. So, I'm left out in the dry, with me not knowing much about cars, and me just wanting to know if there's any possible way to tighten or loosen the power steering: that meaning either working with the fluid, changing belts, etcetera?

Thanks for all the help, if I can recieve any.

-Travis-

Old 08-17-2006, 06:00 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Recently Bought a Civic.

Check your accesory belt for wear and tightness. check the pulley for grinding.

I have a quick question for you, does the car wander to the left or right much at all or does the steering fight with you over bumps. if so
this problem is an alignment issue. Caster issue to be more exact.(I think) maybe a bent component from the fender bender. but the caster issue would explain refusal to return to center. if you look at a grocery cart wheel the mountingpoint is ahead of the actual wheel. that is why it can be moved around so easily because there is no forward force on the tire. it is essentially being dragged
which makes it easier to return to center (aka positive caster). your problem may be that you have the exact opposite problem and you have too much negative caster. ask your dad about it cuz it's no different than in a honda than a IFS GMC TRUCK or chevrolet or ford anything.. really. if he is a good mechanic than he should be able to get the problem solved

Old 08-17-2006, 06:08 PM

WELCOME!

Old 08-17-2006, 06:36 PM
HCF Member

OH YEAH! forgot to say welcome too... sorry i just bombarded you with info and questions.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:54 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: koots

Check your accesory belt for wear and tightness. check the pulley for grinding.

I have a quick question for you, does the car wander to the left or right much at all or does the steering fight with you over bumps. if so
this problem is an alignment issue. Caster issue to be more exact.(I think) maybe a bent component from the fender bender. but the caster issue would explain refusal to return to center. if you look at a grocery cart wheel the mountingpoint is ahead of the actual wheel. that is why it can be moved around so easily because there is no forward force on the tire. it is essentially being dragged
which makes it easier to return to center (aka positive caster). your problem may be that you have the exact opposite problem and you have too much negative caster. ask your dad about it cuz it's no different than in a honda than a IFS GMC TRUCK or chevrolet or ford anything.. really. if he is a good mechanic than he should be able to get the problem solved
i think you meant camber no?

Old 08-17-2006, 08:53 PM
HCF Member

yeah camber sounds about right...I haven't heard of caster.

Welcome buddy

Old 08-17-2006, 10:51 PM
HCF Member

I think I have heard of like casters but um camer sounds more like the job there.

Old 08-18-2006, 04:49 PM
HCF Member

caster is the angle of the ball joint in perpendicular to the ground. the principle is that the ground the vehicle sits on is perfectly flat (180 degrees) and if the balljoints lined up perfectly than it would be 0 degrees (perpendicular to the ground)

Caster Angle Theory

this will explain it better than my A.D.D riddled brain can.

Old 08-19-2006, 01:08 PM

Thanks guys for all the suggestions, I'll be sure to make note of it. I do have one other question as well, I'm trying to find a place where I can buy interior parts. IE new seats, a new console (AC - CD player) control, a new drivers side arm (if that's the correct name) and so forth.

-Travis-

Old 08-19-2006, 11:30 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: koots

caster is the angle of the ball joint in perpendicular to the ground. the principle is that the ground the vehicle sits on is perfectly flat (180 degrees) and if the balljoints lined up perfectly than it would be 0 degrees (perpendicular to the ground)

Caster Angle Theory

this will explain it better than my A.D.D riddled brain can.
Ok sorry i learned something new today.

Quick Reply: Recently Bought a Civic.