New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

RWD conversion question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 12:36 PM
Kei
Default RE: RWD conversion question

Braille Auto makes a kit to make your Integra RWD . It runs around $8000 . Below I have included a picture of the Integ they use for the Formula D and WDC Circuts. It IS a RWD integ now and when I called the company and asked about possibilities of mass production for Civics and Accords and such, they responded with this ::

"We have mapped out exactly what is necessary for a conversion of both the 1992-2000 Honda Civic's and the 1994-2001 Acura Integra vehicles. While a ckit for these vehicles is doable (as evidenced by our vehicle), the cost of the production of the kit is currently higher than our ability to set funds for this over other products we wish to develop. If interest is high enough and cutomers wish to pre-order, of which we would need at least 25 customers, then a kit could be made. The cost for such a kit would definately be above $5,000.00, which puts it out of range with many Honda/Acura owners currently.

We can offer custom vehicles on a unit by unit basis, but the cost is a bit higher as all the parts, from teh engine/tranny mounts, to the rear trailing arms, rear subframe, chassis and rear differential are all custom made."

So thank you to Blake at Braille auto for sitting down talking to me about this, and best of luck at Driver search for D1.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15648/0CAE6109FC5A48209F632A743E32015A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-15-2006, 02:11 PM

was going to say, it's definitely been done before... i know to integras, and I'm sure I've seen a mid 90's civic sedan using the drivetrain out of an a4 audi quattro before...

Old 11-16-2006, 12:46 AM
Kei

wow, an Audi a4 would add some ***** to the *** of the car and be a serious mod...

Old 11-18-2006, 06:54 AM

does braile auto have a website

Old 11-18-2006, 03:01 PM
HCF Member

Nice going Kei. I like that.

Braille Auto

Old 11-18-2006, 03:39 PM
Stinky Administrator

welcome to the forum, i'd love to have my hatch awd for rally racing

Old 11-18-2006, 04:00 PM
HCF Member

^ +1 and AWD hatch would rock.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:53 PM

Hello, brand new to this forum, found it off google. Anyways, I was thrilled to see that rwd conversions are possible, but disheartened at the cost/availability. I am enrolled in college for auto body/service tech, so the place and tools for the conversion is possible. Now, as far as I know, I've been told that my civic (1998) is a unibody, and that all or most hondas from this year were as well. Keeping this in mind (and the fact that I have done NO research yet), would it be possible to find a stock rwd integra (I've heard they exist) and strip the cars down and transfer the rwd under-body to the desired vehicle? and if so, would this obstruct the front axle/suspension area? Because the only research that I HAVE done has told me that the B20 (Honda CRV engine) 4-cyl comes in awd. and that made me cream my pants. anyways, I hate to push this discussion further if I'm wrong but I would like to know before I go spend mad cash on parts that won't work. thanks for any and all help!

Old 12-01-2006, 09:35 PM
Kei

Glad to see my post was read. wow. Bralie does have a website and I have it around here somewhere, so I'll have to check. As for the comment on the STOCK rwd integs....I don't think there was one made. Though, if there was one, I'd check Australia. I know it sounds weird, but Australia purchases rights to modify existing manufactured cars because of the terrain. The outback runs very few "sports cars" they just need the handling ability of RWD. Hence why Ford allowed RWD focus hatch for australia.

NOW, There was someone in here that said they are in a fabrication shop. Here's the deal with that. I can give you a site that shows someone doing a TON of fabrication, but walks through it with pictures. It's about a textbook long but fun to walk through. What he is doing is a little more than an RWD integ. He is making his FWD integ an MR. Mid-mount motor with rear wheel drive. This is something that would be understated to call extencive, and also rediculously expencive. I would not suggest doing this on a street car / daily driver. but it's on another forum I watch, but not participate on. here it is::

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/di...TopicID=106670 (Just pan down and look at some of the pics.)

If you spend time looking around that site, you can see from start to present day. Pretty cold stuff. frickin amazing. Also, www.brailleauto.com is the other site. (Now that I've found it).

The AWD Civic.... Is more than plausable and easier than you think. Take some time to focus on the basics. What makes the Civic move? The motor, right? no. That supplies the force to move it. The Drive shaft moves it. So take a drive shaft and learn how it operates. (If I knew how to post PDF files, I'd post my copy of the OEM factory manual for you guys to have.) Once you know how it operates, alter it to recieve a drive shaft off a differencial. Use a longer drive shaft (Like the CR-V) and alter that if needed. it's been done. and I can look that up too. But words for the Wise... Honda is planning on a redesigned S2000 and Civic type R for 07 / 08. The s2000 will be lower and wider with a v6 and more torque. This will throw the weight from 50-50 to 70-30 balance, so they are having problems redesigning suspension (Though it's not that hard. you set the car to run a negative caber and more agressive toe, you'll burn tires a little more so you lower the suspension angle, thus leveling out the tires...just run a more assertive toe... and....I am rambling again) ON TO THE Type-R... The new civic type R will be AWD and 50-50 balance. However, yet another website for your enjoyment.... the AWD Civic. http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1589395 use the concept and apply to a modern model.

As for me, I have been working on my motor all day. I blew the block and head gasket when my radiatior exploded. so I quick welded the block and installed a new head gasket. The car now gets me to and from work no problems but over heats under extended driving. My roommate and I are discussing some of our next projects and that civic just made top list. We just finished turbo charging his Scion tC and tuning and programming everything. So he's off sportin around in that. 322 hp in a scion isn't bad. Next we have a 1990 Eclipse GSX awd turbo to make better and faster. I think we are going to change out the drive shafts and the rack and pinon system to make it handle more agressively. But as for my civic... we haven't decided if we want to tune a d16z6 ('cause I can get a new motor for $400) to 180hp and use it as a daily driver that way. or Swap in a B18c1. The advantage to a d16z6..it'll be used, dirty, and hide the fact that it's a different motor, thus I might not have to ref it. (most likely not). But if we decide to go b18c1, it's go big or go home. I will buy a b18c1, run aftermarket cams and pistons, but otherwise stock motor. and have the 197 hp that the cams bring it to run on a b18 tranny with a b16 2nd gear and b16 final gear. Reflash and program the ECU, and that's 9,200 Red with shift points ALWAYS in vtec. Vtec will kick in at 4,500 that way econo driving will still be applicable and my daily drive will run 11.7s down the quarter. I have plans, but I wanna buy a project car... not just keep dumping into my daily. so I dunno yet. After all, I'm only 21 and a college student.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Ben

I'd love for my hatch to be rwd.....if only money grew on trees