New Member Introductions Are you new to Honda Civic Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride. This section is not for technical questions.

yeah, hey, mnew

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 11:23 PM
Default yeah, hey, mnew

greetings [sm=icon_guiness.gif]
I own a black 96 Civic HB DX (stick), and its the best car ive ever had.
Much tighter suspension than that old pontiac grand am, light on its feet and fast, but there are a few things about this car that bother me.

-Power NOTHING. which is ok actually, i just like pwr windows because...
- the manual windows are cheaply made. Spent 200 to get my regulator fixed, now my window keeps falling off the track when even after ive fixed it countless times. i fix it, slide the tracks back on with the door panel off, and it falls off track again when i open it a few times. hmm so i just keep it shut.
the pass. side seems to be working ok but its tight.
-No AC (but the compressor runs. hmm)
-147,000 miles [sm=bananallama.gif]

i put the 47,000 on it, just did f/r brakes, 4 michelins, new exhaust (from cat to muff), and just today, 2 new front axles.
Im also having a wierd problem with it where every light inside and outside the car is sort of waving from dim to bright. you sort of hear the car making a noise with it in kind of a steady rhythm. does this sound familiar to anyone?
and the speedometer needle is just freaking out. but ill get into that in the right group. Perhaps "odd problems that even your mechanic cant figure out" might be the right one.
Forums are a pasttime for me, but mostly about road bikes and guitars (still vehicles).
look fwd to meeting people here.
peace
-=stevey

Old 03-26-2005, 12:27 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: yeah, hey, mnew

Welcome to HCF.

Old 03-26-2005, 01:04 PM
HCF Member

sounds like a ground problem, also, take it to an autozone or kragen and have the battery and the alternator tested.

Old 03-26-2005, 01:50 PM
HCF Member

i was thinking same thing, ground problem, charging system

Old 03-26-2005, 01:59 PM

My mech said that he tested the alternator, and that its charging, but still very variable.
So he wasnt sure exactly what the problem was.
Computer issue? electronics?
Also said that it could be over powering for some reason.
What could be the root of this issue?
it sounds like it could be a few things.
Should i just replace the alternator?

Thank you for the replies.
-=stevey

Old 03-26-2005, 02:35 PM
HCF Member

voltage regulator?, ground cable loose at battery?, ground cable from chassis to block? wire loose at alternator? ignition switch malfunction? and on and on

Old 03-26-2005, 03:40 PM

man keep going! im taking notes

Old 03-26-2005, 03:59 PM
HCF Member

o.k. first thing is your alternator is probably o.k. (maybe clean the contacts) and then find yourself an AUTOMOTIVE ELECTRICIAN, they are fairly common once you are aware of their existance, and they have diagnostic equipment for this type of thing. its how they make a living. one last shot in the dark here. does the dimming happen to be in sync with your stereo? specifically a long deep bass note? if so you need a power cap.. let me know what you turn up on this, i'm interested to know.. good luck

Old 03-26-2005, 05:10 PM

ORIGINAL: jwsimons

o.k. first thing is your alternator is probably o.k. (maybe clean the contacts) and then find yourself an AUTOMOTIVE ELECTRICIAN, they are fairly common once you are aware of their existance, and they have diagnostic equipment for this type of thing. its how they make a living. one last shot in the dark here. does the dimming happen to be in sync with your stereo? specifically a long deep bass note? if so you need a power cap.. let me know what you turn up on this, i'm interested to know.. good luck
Thanks buddy. Ill follow your advice, but first ill bring up all of these possibilities to my mech on munday.
I guess it could be time for a second opinion. And im not rich!

So it didnt really seem to be affecting the radio too much. Possibly a bit of fading.
Ill probably need to install a power capacitor anyway because ill be putting in a 3 ch amp soon.

If it helps, i put in a Pioneer cd player and 4 new aftermkt speakers. Not even an amp yet, and one of the rears blew out. (Boston acoustics FX series)
ill update you guys/girls soon.
thanks again

Old 03-26-2005, 07:45 PM
HCF Member

welcome to the HCF. I like you avatar... are you an avid bike rider?

Quick Reply: yeah, hey, mnew