Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Blow off valve question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 10:31 PM
Default Blow off valve question

I just finished installing my turbo on my 93 Civic. The emanage is running correcty wit no codes and I am not throwing any CE codes. The problem is that I do not hear the turbo spooling and the BOV is not releasing. Do I need to tighten or loosen the BOV? Also, I am getting some burnoff around the turbo. Is this normal? Really need help with the Blow off valve. I am running a Greddy type RS.

Old 06-23-2006, 10:47 PM
Default RE: Blow off valve question

how many pounds are you boosting?

Old 06-23-2006, 10:49 PM

I am boosting right at 5lbs. of boost.

Old 06-23-2006, 10:51 PM

thats probably it,, you're not boosting that much. do you feel a power increase now that the turbo is in?

Old 06-23-2006, 10:58 PM

I feel the increase n power but there is a little raspy. When I get on the throttle it seems to rumble a bit(kind of hard to explain the feeling). The best I can describe is the feeling you get when you have an exhaust leak. Also, is burnoff normal on a freshly installed turbo. Sorry for all the questions but this is my first boost experience. Shouldn't I hear the turbo spool, or is it due to small amount of boost? Thanks

Old 06-23-2006, 11:00 PM

Since I am running only 5lbs of boost, should I loosen the BOV or tighten it up? I was just going to run with no IC but decided to go the safer route. Is the BOV overkill at 5lbs?

Old 06-23-2006, 11:04 PM

the bov is probably fine. dont know what to say about the rumble...unless you know where its coming from. do you have a boost controler? and why would you think of running without your intercooler?

Old 06-23-2006, 11:16 PM

No boost controller. The kit I have is set at 5lbs. I am unfamiliar with tuning the turbo set up so I am running the basic Greddy set up. I thought about running without the IC due to all the problems I had. I know that the emanage can be tuned to an extent but I don't know where to begin. I will try to pinpoint the rumble. As for the burnoff, is this normal? Is it possibly debris on the heat shield. The burnoff is coming around the heat shield over the ex-manny and turbo housing. What is throwing me is that I am not throwing any codes.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:20 PM

what motor do you have cuz i was gonna say that hondata is a lot cheaper than the emanage. but the turbo is fine, and what do you mean by burnoff?

Old 06-23-2006, 11:34 PM

I have the d16z. The emanage came with the kit. I am getting a smoke burnoff. It is like the burnoff when I installed new headers on my b16 crx. Is isn't a cloud of smoke, it is like a metal heating burnoff. I am thinking it may jut be the coating on the heatshield. So it would be safe to say that the turbo is fine and that I just won't be hearing the BOV release. That is a bummer, I was looking forward to hearing that sweet sound of the BOV releasing. Would loosening the BOV give me that turbo sound I want to hear? IS there a way to increase the boost on a kit that is rated for 5lbs since I have the IC and the emanage that can be tuned?

Quick Reply: Blow off valve question