Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Building Tuned Turbo engine!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 11:02 AM
Default Building Tuned Turbo engine!!

Ok.. i have decided fully that i am going turbo.. and i have already started pricing and getting ready to order parts for rebuilding my block ... D16Y7 .. which i want to keep for MPG and that i would like to keep stock type setup for emissions and such .. but have already looked into getting block dipped, sleeved (if needed) with bored and new pistons etc... also doing full head, port and polish as well as stage 3 cam and valve springs/lifters.. while doing this getting getting skunk2 IM and TB unless the machine shop can port/polish these as well vs spending the 500 bucks.. but what i am hoping is if someone can post here or please PM me and help me get idea of what else i need to do during block rebuild to get best response out of my turbo.. since i have 99 EK hatch i have limited options on turbo kits it seems plus the fact that they will cost near 5k with AEM EMS.. I noticed the Turbonetics kit T3/04 Hybrid is one of the few i have with the DX engine.. Anyone who might be able to walk me through what they would do to build the engine .. and if u can afford time.. give me idea of setup on decent turbo package.. no need to talk me out of it on this one :P Dead set on keeping stock engine and going turbo.. just want to get the most i can without spending an insane amount of money and keep vehicle reliable for daily driver but have at least 200whp.. Money is another limiter why i wanna go this route so that i can do it in stages within one years time.. most stuff can be done for 2k per step until the turbo it seems .. unless i can break this down also by upgraded fuel system ahead of time and then buy the remainder of the turbo package once all else is finished..

Old 03-02-2006, 11:36 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Building Tuned Turbo engine!!

Is youre motor blown? If not, dont rebuild it. Do a compression/Leakdown test to see what kinda condition the motor is in. With some ARP headstuds ud be able to run 200WHP on a stock motor. I have a D16Z6 and plan on getting tuned for 200WHP When i get my 5 speed in.

Old 03-02-2006, 12:27 PM

it still runs fine but its using oil..

so u think for quickest way to 200whp is just drop a turbo in and get tuned? then wait till something breaks before rebuilding motor?

Old 03-02-2006, 12:45 PM
HCF Member

Whats your budget? A properly tuned D will make 200 whp no prob.

Old 03-02-2006, 04:57 PM

well was hoping to do for around 5-6k but theres a few different options ive been looking at to do this.. main concern like i said was rebuilding my block first to stop the oil usage and to make sure i was already getting the max i could from my engine prior to giong turbo.. so if i was able to get my engine up to near 120-130 then bolting on turbo should take me over 200whp even

Old 03-02-2006, 05:14 PM
HCF Member

allocate how much everything is going to cost you first plan it out and then leave room for knick knacks, if you can afford to build up your block then why not do it.

Old 03-02-2006, 05:49 PM
HCF Member

you dont need a stage 3 cam to get to 200hp

Old 03-02-2006, 09:59 PM
HCF Member

Well, if youre going to have the block rebuilt why not build it with Eagle H Beam Rods and SRP or whatever brand u choose Pistons. This way you can run more power.

Old 03-03-2006, 06:27 AM

yeah already changing all that.. headed to local parts store tomorrow to get details on products and he is gonna check with machine shop to find out cost estimate on full performance rebuild.. hopefully can afford AEM EMS unit when i get block built also.. then just gotta locate a tuner to get everything set.. problem ill have at that point is driving car until i can get new tranny in... anyone have a guestimate on what i might expect from just a d16y7 pro build? hp wise i mean..

Old 03-03-2006, 02:48 PM
HCF Member

what pistons are you looking at getting?

Quick Reply: Building Tuned Turbo engine!!