Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Building Tuned Turbo engine!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Default RE: Building Tuned Turbo engine!!

get a better motor....why spend that much and have to worry about all the nonscense....get an ITR motor or b16a2 and drop that in...you would have 200hp with the itr and fast as hell!

Old 03-03-2006, 05:07 PM

swapping creates other issues that i keep running into .. having cash all at once.. need 4k alone for other stuff that needs replaced.. ie.. wheels, brakes, doing body work, finishing audio.. then to be able to get something done on vehicle this summer i would only have 2-3k which is just enough for a good rebuild.. then throughout winter i would be coming up with loot for transmission/turbo.. also swapping means replacing other parts like new intake and making it fight on hybrid.. then new headers and having to have custom downpipe made and possibly welded..other thing i was worried about with swap is i dont know what im getting in the swapped motor.. they only have limited details about type r.. does someone have a link to what is on the internals that makes them have so much more hp .. or is it just a compression change.. ie.. cams ,lifters..

I guess from an enthusiasts point of view..same idea on the motor swap vs. building what i got, is the same reason we buy 10-15k cars and fix them up the way we want with our own parts.. instead of going and buying that 30k-40k car that has the same HP rating and looks and drives like thousands of others...

Another thing to look at is on a built sohc non vtec vs. dohc vtec.. thats not built except through a factory .. how different will the acceleration be .. i have read posts on forums that say the sohc has alot more power down low because there is no power band .. so you get evenly distributed power the more you stomp.. vs on vtec motor that you have all the extra power at a certain rpm... Not to start a flame because im still kinda a noob to all this but, just going off what i read seems like the sohc could have more potential for what i wanna use it for.. MPG being another concern.. ITR specs most likely start out with 5-10 MPG less than my stock motor.. means even driving sensibly that i would still pay more on gas.. Then I would wanna spend more money within next year on ITR or moreso even a B16 because i have the option to put more bolt on performance parts in it.

Just bear with me and Consider ITR i seen in one site was 210 HP that was 4500 dollars not including shipping costs..
thats not even 200 at wheels.
But if someone on here is saying that i can tune a D16y7 to 200 whp and i get it priced to do rebuild with parts for around 3k maybe extra 500 depending on minor parts i havent considered.. plus extra 750 for rebuilt trans.. at a later time of course.. i will still be spending less with more HP.. so was kinda hoping someone might have some heads up on hp rating for rebuilding.

Old 03-03-2006, 05:57 PM
Recognized HCF Member

with 5-6k in your motor you will be pretty well over 200whp probably somewere into the 300whp range if not a lilttle higher

Old 03-03-2006, 06:19 PM

with a d series non vtec? or u mean if i did the swap?

Old 03-03-2006, 06:34 PM
HCF Member

I'm pretty sure he means with your D16Y6. I have a D16Y6 and I agree that it is a good motor, it may be SOHC, but it still has plenty of pickup and motor build potential. I also think your right that you'd get more speed for the money by just building the D16Y7 instead of swapping for a B16, which is a great motor, but you're gonna pay money for the engine in addition to other performance parts. Keep us updated on how the build turns out.

Old 03-03-2006, 08:07 PM

heading to parts store in morning to get details on parts,.. he is friend of a friend so will be hooking up close to what he gets parts for .. so hopefully can get some good deals..

Old 03-03-2006, 09:08 PM
HCF Member

Chances are you can get better prices online.........just remember to stick to brand name parts like JE, Wiesco, Eagle, SRP, Crower etc etc....

The internals arent what are going to MAKE more power, theyre forged (stronger) so you can run more boost which makes much more power.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:12 PM

bottom end no. but thought u can get alot of power from stage 3 cams with lifters.. plus port and polish on head

Old 03-03-2006, 10:32 PM

Didn't read the whole thing.. but I'd suggest swapping to a D16Z6. The Y7's tranny is geared too long, it's intake mani is restrictive, and with the non vtec head it won't carry torque into higher rpms worth a crap. It's also OBD 2, which restricts your tuning options. The Y's are also prone to spinning rod bearings under stress because of poor oiling. The Z6 shares non of these inhibitions, isn't too expensive (full swap can be had for 700-1000), and you won't have to worry with it. Plus, by swapping, should anything unfortunate happen to the Z6 (although with a good tune nothing should), you could have your Y7 in the garage as a back up. Or you could sell it, but I'd prefer to have the spare engine on hand. My civic is my only car.

Another, cheaper option would be to buy a Z6 head, IM, and ECU, and a Y8 tranny (best D tranny imo), and utilize your Y7 block. But personally, the 400-500 more for a full Z6 would be worth the peace of mind for me.

Old 03-03-2006, 11:08 PM

with swap i would still end up spending more.. due to the power im trying to gain vs cost.. and adding vtec just seems to half @ss.. it wasnt meant to be unless i do full swap.. once again spending more money than the gain .. note above.. Y7 will be completely rebuilt.. and spoon tranny at this point seems to be the way im going,, so no wasting time with y8 tranny when it's open diff also which i want L.S.D.. from what alot of people (in and out of forum) i will be closer to 300whp by the time i build y7 with turbo and tune .. for around 6-7k total with tranny and AEM EMS.. but i will be doing it over the course of 1 year or less .. mainly to say what i dont get done by the time it gets cold again i will put off for next year..turbo being last of course... Plus if i go back to obd1 i run into emissions issues which i dont wanna deal with as i live in PA.. they passed new law ,, i have regular inspection plus emissions every year. .

One other thing will be the fact that if i do get the results i want and i get to show it, ill have a factory motor still in car thats pushing some decent power..

On a side note.. another option i considered would be to try to find a b18c locally non jdm .. and have it fully rebuilt and have trans/ecu all ready to go prior to having it installed ... problem with this would be me doing alot more posting in the mean time as there is alot of stuff included in JDM swap package that i would have to get.. so if you wanna help take time to get info on swap list components for 99 EK hatch .. feel free to lemme know :P ..

Quick Reply: Building Tuned Turbo engine!!