Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

considering cold air intake for my 1999 civic lx

Old 12-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Smile considering cold air intake for my 1999 civic lx

so i was talking to my cousin and he thinks i should start with a cold air intake and performance header for my 99 civic lx.

very interested in doing this but seeing as im a newbie at this stuff, all help is welcomed.

stories about your projects are welcomed as well.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:23 PM

Before you buy anything. Stop and think of plans for the car in the future. I know it is hard to avoid a cheap thing here and there, but if your goals in the end don't need those parts, then you just wasted money. I have been down that multiple times.

Set aside a total budget you would like to spend on the car if you plan on modding it. That is also something I didn't do. read up on how to install things as well as money involved, and power increases.

More specifically speaking, if you purchase an intake and header, and later down the road you want a turbo kit, the turbo kit will replace the header and the intake, making those purchases pointless.

I'll attack the intake first. Yes, it will look shiny and sound nice. However, you will not gain any power from it. Maybe 1-2 hp at most. You will not feel an increase that small.

As for the header, your OEM cat converter is embedded within the stock header, replacing the header will delete your converter and cause you to fail emissions. Depending on where you live, penalties can vary for this. Look at the below link for more info.

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...version-73237/

Just remember, research everything you can. Visit forums, that is where the real knowledge lies. Magazines and **** like that are usually paid by manufacturers etc to sway opinions (In my opinion at least). Forums can be filled with idiots who are talking out of their a$$, but there are a few people here and there who actually know what they are talking about.