Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

ebay turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 03:30 PM
HCF Member
Default ebay turbo kit

ok so i always hear "don't go ebay," but i found a kit that actually looks really complete for the price. just wondering if you guys have any opinions besides the generic don't go ebay. if you are really against it, please give me specific reasons why i shouldn't get it or what i should replace.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...rksid=p3286.m7

Old 08-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Snail'n Admin

its not a matter of be ing "complete" its the quality of the parts. I mean, you can use it but expect to replace A LOT of stuff due to not being high quality. im not saying there aren't ebay turbos and other stuff that arent good and dont work because there are some that do and work really well, but the majority dont. The thing with expensive parts is that those companies pay the money for R&D hence the higher price tag, but also higher quality and better results.

Old 08-17-2008, 03:40 PM
HCF Member

i have never heard a first person account of these breaking on them its always the been a friends girl friends brothers aunts baby cousins ebay kit that sucked. Not sure if the manifold will clear ur a/c if you wanna keep it. If your going to replace anything it would be the turbo and the manifold, and by that time you might as well of just pieced your kit together. I would not do it, but if you wanna give it a try go for it I would like to see how it turns out. I have heard a few first hand accnts of them being fine, so iino i wouldnt get it

Old 08-17-2008, 04:13 PM
Snail'n Admin

Its not the turbo that worries me on ebay kits. The manifolds are usually fine with reinforced welds. The big thing is the smaller pieces (oil lines that melt, sometimes plastic bov's, cheap gaskets,etc)not to mention fitment issues

Old 08-17-2008, 04:37 PM
HCF Member

my eBay's BOV nipple snapped off when i was tightening a vacuum hose clamp on it. Snapped right off, there's a first hand account for ya, expect more.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Snail'n Admin

There was a guy over on turbod16 who just for sh*ts and giggles bought an ebay kit to see the gains, and had a list of stuff that went wrong, let me see if i can find it

Old 08-17-2008, 04:42 PM
Snail'n Admin
Old 08-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Snail'n Admin

Here's a cliffnotes but id still read the thread with problems as the guy installs the kit
OK time for some scores on this kit. This will be your typical 1 through 10 scales.

FMIC, Charge Pipes, Silicone Couplers, T-Bolts. (8 points)
The fit was really good and the quality was decent.

Turbo Manifold (8 points)
The fit was good and quality decent.

BOV (8 points)
I really like this thing for the money!

Waste-gate (9 points)
I have a few of these on other cars and they hold up well and have not had one problem with them.

Turbo (9 points)
I have a few of these on other cars and they hold up well and have not had one problem with them.

Down pipe (4 points)
This thing would have been nice if... and it’s a big if, the five bolt flange bolts holes were drilled right. This thing will cost you some big dollar drill bits to get to fit right, if at all. We luck out! The other thing is being a three-inch down pipe the fitment has to be Nat's *** on. This where the big dollar down pipes show whats up!!!
So the problem areas were.
#1 The down pipe needs to be about a 1" longer vertically with this turbo manifold and turbo.
#2 The five bolt flange is not drilled correct.
#3 The O2 bung sits right under the driver’s side axle at 12:00 clock. I put a plug in it and it can never be used. Its about 2" away from the axle.
#4The bolts that come with the down pipe to attach to the 2-bolt flange at the end need to be thrown away. There junk!

Oil Feed Tee
This is the one that connects the oil sending unit and the feed to the turbo. (9 points)
Fitment and quality are really good.

Turbo Oil Feed and Return Flange (6 points)
I had to drill out both of these. Once again they need to measure better.
The gaskets were really nice though.

Oil Return Line (6 points)
It’s too flimsy. Needs to be a better quality. It kinks very easy to the point I won't use it.

Oil Feed Line (0 points)
Only lasted two days then melted. :x

Fittings (6 points)
Be carefull they are the cheap ones.

Turbo manifold Gaskets 4 bolt and 5 bolt(8 points)
Fitment was good and seal up nicely!

All in all I'm happy with the kit. For the money it’s not to bad. Total install time was about 12 hrs.
I have had good luck with them. One thing I do suggest is to take your oil pan off like we did and weld in an AN #10 fitting. Then use the same 90-degree AN elbow that we did. The cost is around $40.00 The oil return is one of the most important items on a turbo list.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:54 PM
HCF Member

good find Trent!

Old 08-18-2008, 08:01 PM
HCF Member

a buddy of mine actually had $ to throw away and he bought an eby turbo kit for his d16z6 he ended up hitting 220 hp on stock internals, but he ended up blowing his motor a few days later

Quick Reply: ebay turbo kit