Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

external wastegates

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 03:48 PM
HCF Member
Default external wastegates

I am looking to run an external wastegate. I was wondering what kind and what size would be good for my app. I have a 14b on a D16y8. Would I have to by a new manifold instead of the HF manifold I'm using?

Old 12-04-2007, 04:30 PM
Super Cereal Admin
Default RE: external wastegates

a 14b is a pretty small turbo to justify the cost of an external wastegate, isn't it? What's the reason you want an external wastegate? If it's just for extra under-hood bling, I can understand (sort of), but as far as performance goes, you can accomplish the same goal (more boost) with a boost controller for 1/3 the price.

Old 12-04-2007, 04:43 PM
HCF Member

Actually thats not the reason. My internal wastegate is stuck open and I havn't fixed it as of right now. So I'm looking for other options...

I'm just pretty new to turbos in general and need more information. I tried searching for this information but everything I've found is pretty basic stuff I already know. I'm just not clear on where they bolt up and where the exhaust tube runs to after the wastegate.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:09 PM

how much do you plan on spending? b/c with the price of converting the 14b from internal gate to external gate isnt worth the money if you ask me. you'll need to either weld the internal flapper closed, or replace the hot side with one without an internal gate. then the manifold would need to be replaced or altered to accept an external gate

Old 12-05-2007, 10:08 AM
Super Cereal Admin

actually, for the price of the external wastegate conversion, you could buy a few used 14b's from ebay

Old 12-05-2007, 10:39 AM
HCF Member

I was told that the flapper wouldn't have to be welded shut, just take it out and run it with an external gate. It would just have a little more lag, like 100 rpms or so. I don't know this for sure, just telling you what someone told me.

I wantto fix my internal gate if at all possible, I just don't know how to do it.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Super Cereal Admin

the flapper will have to be welded shut, there's just no other way around it. When the internal wastegate opens, it allows the exhaust gasses to completely bypass the turbine. That's why when the turbo stops making more boost when the wastegate is open. If the wastegate is open all the time, it won't make boost at all.

Old 12-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Tial 38mm all the way with an 8lbs spring

Old 12-05-2007, 06:43 PM

ORIGINAL: reaper2022

actually, for the price of the external wastegate conversion, you could buy a few used 14b's from ebay
In order to switch to an external wastegate you will need to buy a new manifold with external wastegate port and flange, the external wastegate, and then you will need to get the downpipe modified to fit because the new manifold will position the turbo differently than your current one.

Or, instead of spending $500+, you could just fix the 14B wastegate or buy a whole new turbo with working wastegate for considerably less.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:30 PM
HCF Member

yeah... I knew it would be expensive to switch, thats why I wanted to try and fix my internal before I committed to anything. I don't think it's stuck, I think it's just not adjusted right. I finally figured out how to adjust it so I'll keep ya updated.

Quick Reply: external wastegates