Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

finally bought a turbo!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 07:03 PM
HCF Member
Default finally bought a turbo!

I just bought a TDO5H mitsu turbo, internally gated with a custom b series manifold, smic, a dsm bov and a greddy type s bov, not sure wich one Im going to end up running, might sell the greddy. I got all of this for under $200. I still have alot to add to this setup but I have a few questions. I plan on running no more then 6-8 psi on this little turbo so somehwere in the 210 whp area would be nice. What size injectors? 450cc seems pretty big for 210 whp. will I need a new fuel pump (walbro 255)? fuel pressure regulator? Do I really need an expensive engine management system or will a basic emanage or vafc work? And yes I will be getting it tuned with whatever I go with. Help will be much appreciated!

Old 07-31-2006, 08:23 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: finally bought a turbo!

I would get some 370cc injectors (rc engineering are quality ones) and i think a walboro 255 would work well. I have heard alot of good things about the hondadata S200 ($290) for engine management. It has all the tuning capabilities you will need for 210whp. just my opinion hope it helps!

Old 07-31-2006, 11:48 PM
HCF Member

Thanx for the help man. I am all for hondata but Im sorta trying to stay away from chipping my ecu if I can, since I have a retarded obd2b ecu. Everyone says to get your ecu chipped but I dont know if its entirely necessary if Im only running 6-8 psi. Ive researched like crazy and theres not alot of info on engine management for obd2b ecu's. It's easy to say "get hondata and chip your ecu" when you have an obd1. I'm just not excited about spending $400-$500 plus on a conversion harness, new ecu and then hondata or something else like it when Im only running a low boost daily driver. Im desperate for some help guys!

Old 08-01-2006, 08:49 AM

I'm pretty much in the same spot as you ... researching my A** off lol. My Goals are pretty similar to yours i want a 200 HP car thats reliable. I haven't really researched sizes and different types of turbos because i've been researching other things involved with FI but anyways for my setup i'm seriously thinking about the greddy e-manage ... For the fuel pump question i would read this (and some of the other articles on the site) i just found this last night and thought it was a really good read ... http://www.importbuilders.com/simplerulestofollow.htm

Old 08-01-2006, 09:06 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Alright, here we go..

1 - It is WELL WORTH the extra time, money and effort to convert to OBD-1. It's really not that hard, and you dont need to run something expensive like the s200. Just get Crome which is free (there are others too, so if you know someone locally who tunes on a certain program, then use that program). It IS entirely necessary in my opinion to take this route, that is if you want your motor to run strong and reliable for a prolonged amount of time.

2 - DSM 450cc's are perfect, cheap, and easy to come by. The whole resistor wiring thing isn't as bad as people make it out to be either. Mine was screwed up, but I went back through and fixed it all fairly easily.

3 - Your stock fuel pump is good for upwards of 300whp, no need to waste money on a new one.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:25 AM

i figured with the legal issues (and the fact that my goal is only around 200HP) of switching to obd1 that it wouldn't be worth it for me ... however i am ignorant on this subject because i haven't looked at ways to get around it ... hmmm. So what would be a good way to pass emissions after converting to obd1? would i have to uninstall everything for the test ( I live in Colorado if that helps)and then put it back on afterwards?

Old 08-01-2006, 09:51 PM
HCF Member

Thanks guys for the comments and help! So will a p28 ecu from a 92-95 civic VTEC work for my 2000 civic si? I know this question has been asked a million times but Ive still never heard it answered completely. What all do I need besides a conversion harness and obd1 ecu? What kind of price should I expect to pay for everything when all the ecu chipping and everything is done? Thanx!

Old 08-02-2006, 11:38 PM

P28 will work, P30 if you want a B16 designed ECU. Won't really matter though. Get it crome chipped, that's what I have.

Being internally wastegated, you won't be able to increase boost, you're stuck at whatever the internal wastegate it set at. So basically the only thing you can do to increase power is to change other parts on the engine with that turbo. Intake manifold, Downpipe size, Equal length runner turbo manifold, etc. 200whp might be a stretch, but I'm not entirely sure what that turbo is capable internally gated off hand.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:59 PM
HCF Member

I was planning on getting a boost controller so I dont have to rely on the int. wastegate. I think Im gonna take your chrome advice, it sounds like the best way to go. So when I get my 450cc dsm's Im assuming Im going to need injector clips and a resistor box, is that correct? Also how soon should I replace my clutch if Im only running 200-210 whp?

Old 08-03-2006, 12:15 AM

Yup, resistor box and clips is all you're gonna need. You will def need crome then too, stock ECU will not run on the 450s.

I didn't see that you were driving an Si, haha, 200whp is definitely feasable. The life of your clutch doesn't have anything to do with whp, it has everything to do with torque. But, for the record, $5 says you'll roast your stock clutch in about 2 weeks.

Quick Reply: finally bought a turbo!