Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Good turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 07:23 AM
HCF Member
Default Good turbo?

I'm don't for sure know if I want to boost but if I come across good priced stuff I'll pick it up no problem. And I found a Garrett turbo a guy has for sale. Now I don't know a ton about turbos, so let me know if this is a good deal and turbo to throw on the y8. It is a .60 a/r so it is a pretty good size. He wants $120 for it and says no shaft play.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:33 AM
HCF Member

A/R just tells you the volume of the housing (turbine or compressor) you need to measure the inducer and exducer of the wheels (diameter at the base of the blades and diameter at the top of the blades) to find out what size it really is. However but the looks of it I would say its similar in size to a MHI TD05H 20g. This would be more than enough for a 1.6L as it makes somewhere in the 400hp range on a DSM. Is the turbo journal bearing or ball bearing? It has an odd turbine housing, do we know what it came off? looks like Ford maybe....

Old 07-19-2010, 03:35 PM
HCF Member

It is off an 05 chevy he said.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:05 PM
HCF Member

So its a diesel turbo, its designed to be efficient at lower RPM. I'm not saying it won't work all the way to redline, but it will be winded like a fat kid running up hill. People make tons of power with HX35's (also a deisel turbo) on DSM's but they just don't have the same top end efficiency. It's cheap enough so that really shouldn't matter unless you are trying to be competitive in any type of racing.

-Oliver

Old 07-20-2010, 03:52 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Personally, I'd take low end grunt over top end power in a DD any day. Think about it.. What serves you better on your daily drives? Being able to get up n' go on command or waiting for the boost to kick in at 4500+ rpms so you can make sure that dick in the taurus stays in your rearview?

Old 07-20-2010, 06:34 AM
Cat Fuсker

I think you have it backwards guys. If it's off of a high displacement turbo diesel just think of the exhaust volumes that move through there. This thing will take a long time to spool up on a 1.6L.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:16 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by StifflersMom
I think you have it backwards guys. If it's off of a high displacement turbo diesel just think of the exhaust volumes that move through there. This thing will take a long time to spool up on a 1.6L.
What I was saying is that it is designed to operate at engine speeds of 4-5000rpm or lower. As it is a larger turbo it will take a long time to spool but once it gets up over 50,000rpm (turbo speed) it is not efficient and will have lackluster results. you can read a little more about it HERE. Overall, yes it will work and it will add power, but it will not work as well as a turbo designed to run on a gas engine.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:39 AM
Cat Fuсker

RPMs have NOTHING to do with turbos. It's all about the flow numbers.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:31 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by StifflersMom
RPMs have NOTHING to do with turbos. It's all about the flow numbers.

Please elaborate.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:37 PM
Cat Fuсker

A duramax diesel at 3K RPM puts out a lot more exhuast than a D16 at 3K RPM. Imagine a hyrdo power plant with a dam. When there's a lot of water flowing through the turbine you make electricity, when the dam get blown away there's a tiny stream left that simply seeps past the blades. Both streams could be going at the same speed - it doesn't matter.

Quick Reply: Good turbo?