Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

looking to turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 06:53 PM
HCF Member
Default looking to turbo

after researching and pricing, ive come to realize that a K swap is just too pricey. and plus, if i were to do a swap, id want to TURBO IT. i have wanted a turbo ever since i got my car. ive done tons of exterior/interior work to it and now its time for my engine. im about to graduate so money IS LIMITED but i do work and will get the right, good quality stuff. im not looking fora CRAZY setup or anything but i dont want something just "mild" either. i want people to say "dang, thats a fast car" not just a fast CIVIC. im tired of haters. im not sure about the HP range im looking for being as i have never ridden or driven in anything turboed. my friend has a b20 in his civic and it is dynoed at 185 hp. that thing rips too. so i guess im looking to make about 250hp? so, can you guys help me out with what i need and should get and such? im thinking that a garrett t3/t04E is going to be too small? maybe i should go for the gt3076r? i can do some mild engine work as long as it doenst get too pricey.....so help me out here. i know im going to need a ton of other stuff but im just trying to figure out which route i want to go. i would just settle for a small greddy kit but im afraid its not going to be enough.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:41 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: looking to turbo

that t3/t4 should be beyond enough for 250. if you just wanna go with the 3076r, whatever floats your boat, thats cool but the t3/t4 will work.
http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=TBN
that one says its rated up to 350. you can get bigger trim wheels, higher a/r'sand higher stageturbines and stuff and push that up to.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:19 PM
HCF Member

How much money are you willing to spend? Cause you prolly know that the more power you want to put down, the more money your going to have to put down as well. As far as reliablility goes putting down more than 180 hp (IMO) you'll prolly want to uprage the internals of the engine, good fuel management system, clutch, ignition, higher cc fuel injectors, upgraded fuel pump, headstuds, wideband, gauges, upgraded brakes, axels, the list goes on the more psi you want to run.

My recommendation would be to get a kit nothing crazy, run at a smooth 6-8 psi. See how you like it, than you can upgrade it piece by piece when you get the extra money, or untill your at a comfortable level. I'm guessing it's your daily driver so you might want to start of gradually. Just my .02

Old 05-14-2008, 06:26 AM
HCF Member

i guess it really just depends on how long i want to save. . . i was planning on upgading some parts of the engine just NOT sleeving or getting pistons. maybe cams, the fuel system (i have an apexi neo to go along),for sure a new clutch, and just whatever else im going to have to do. so, which turbo should i look at going with for nothing crazy? keep in mind this is my daily driver but i do eventually want to up the HP. garrett t3/t04 or the gt30?

Old 05-14-2008, 07:42 AM
HCF Member

t3/t4 they come rated up beyond 400 hp, and they are a little smaller than the gt3076. i can't say for certain, my area of expertise isnt the 6 gen, but i'm gonna say there is no way you will get that high without pistons, rods, and sleeves. i'm also gonna say get something better than apexi neo.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:28 PM
HCF Member

I make around 250 whp on a dynapack with a mild sized t3 hooked up to a d16, with a 4lb boost leak. My advice to you, especially if you are going to have a shop do the clutch/rebuild, is to work your *** off, sell anything less important to you than this project, and have everything done at once. The money saved in labor and hassle is well worth it. Short overlap, high lift cams would be fun, but I think you should focus your money in other areas to ensure the life of your motor. Turbo size is your preference, smaller for more power in the lower rpms with less lag, bigger for more lag but big power up top. Having had both sizes, I prefer my T3, boost is only a tap of the pedal away!
________
Live Sex Webshows

Last edited by arust45; 09-10-2011 at 02:47 AM.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:36 PM
HCF Member

If you have the b16a2 in that civic which you do if you have a 99 or 00 civic si then 250whp should be possible on stock internals. However new arp headstuds and head gasket are a must and if your like me when I already have the head off why not go with forged pistons new ringsand rods and bit moreboost and reliability. Any way Engine management is more important than any turbo choice so invest in one and get it tuned. T3/T4 is the turbo I plan on using that should be plenty. I also suggest saving and buying and getting all the pieces before you take you car apart. Not having a car to drive is no fun. Walbro 255lph fuel pump is another suggestion. Hope this helps.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:21 PM
HCF Member

t3/t4 should be a good invest on your part. However like mentioned before. you really need to internals. These cars are meant for longetivity and turbos are not the way to go that way. 250whp is a good goal. In order for that, you need a good fuel management system and proper tune.

Look at the stickies in here for a home made turbo that one of the mods put up. That way you can get a better idea

Old 05-16-2008, 04:06 AM
HCF Member

well atleast i have decided on a turbo...either a garrett or turbonetics turbo (t3/t4 and what about trim 57 or 60?) im leaning more towards garrett. also, i would kinda like to KEEP my ac....so, i searched and found that peakboost makes an ac compatible ramhorn manifold. http://cheapturbo.stores.yahoo.net/pebacra.htmlso, there is the turbo and manifold that i plan on getting. i would love to just get the peakboost kit but i think i can save some money is i buy it all separate.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:02 PM
HCF Member

Just got to be careful buying piece by piece, make sure everything fits up right. Might take more research but you can do it. I'm just waiting till I have a good cushion befor I attempt my turbo project.

Quick Reply: looking to turbo