Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

New boost project. Two Options.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 05:56 AM
HCF Member
Default New boost project. Two Options.

I have a 1991 ef with a b16a in it. The motor is strong. however, the frame of the civic is in bad shape so i'm not going to be keeping it much longer. I also have 1993 Integra rs with the stock b18a1 in it with 220 000kms which I am using as my chassis now for my project. I want to go boost soon, but i can't decide on the motor.

Should i keep the b18 in the teg?

- Already obd1, already in, been babied and only one owner, more displacement.

Or swap my b16 into the integra?

- needs to be swapped, vtec, obd0 though, strong motor.

In the end i want to boost the car but i can't decide between the motors, plus i feel like im wasting money not using the b16 i bought before. Any ideas?

Side note, pretty much all parts from and ef can go onto a 2nd gen teg right?

Old 03-28-2009, 07:33 AM
March 2010 ROTM

Sell the B16 and use the money on the boost project. B18a1 is already low compression so it will boost nice.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:58 PM
HCF Member

Ls Vtec swap that thing. The B16 head is great on the B18 block. Sell the civic shell for a few hundred. Now you have a good B16 block to build for boost as a back up if you hurt the B18 or you could sell the B16 block as well. But I would do the Ls Vtec I hear great things about this swap. You already have everything need fro this to, that is a plus free HP!! Have Vtec and the displacement.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:00 PM
HCF Member

+1 on keeping the b18. Already in the car, will be better for boost anyways. Man I wish I had this problem, lol

Old 04-04-2009, 06:28 AM
HCF Member

So i figured i would do a ls/vtec boost project instead.. i'm going to purchase the golden eagle conversion kit and do the head swap, then do a mild boost. i heard that it is crucial to get a vtec water pump and oil pump as well, but if im doing boost im not gonna look for high revs so will these be neccessary?

Old 04-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Snail'n Admin

sigh....dont do the lsvtec. Please. Its a ticking time bomb unless its fully built. There are so many horror stories on them. Unless you know EXACTLY what youre doing and have the time to fix stuff all the time, dont go that route. What are your power goals. and with boost, if you get on it in first and second, you dont have much choice other than to get to high revs. You need to do a ton more research. 220k km on a motor is a bit much

Old 04-07-2009, 09:45 AM
HCF Member

what horror stories do you mean? i know i need to replace things like timing belt, water pump, oil pump, etc. i was planning on getting the motor "cleaned" and have maybe a ring job done and do a compression check to make sure everything was good. i was looking to put out maybe 225 whp or so. Nothing too big. I was looking for nothing too intense, about 6-7 psi on a garrett gt30 turbo, stock internals, but probably a block guard. You seem to have an opinion on this topic (that’s a good thing) and I wanna know what your thoughts are about it.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:49 AM
March 2010 ROTM

I know plenty of people on my local forums running LS/Vtec and have been for a couple years. They all had a nice tune done and have been fine.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:50 PM
HCF Member

Yeah I have a buddy with a 91 hatch with a B20 Vtec and he has had no problems. The motor is putting down close to 200hp and is reliable as any Honda. It is his DD. Ls Vtec swaps are great go for it you have everything you need for the most part. All you need is the head pins, oil lines for Vtec, plug for oil port in Vtec head and drill and tap for the knock sensor.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:20 PM
HCF Member

LSVTECs tend to have issues when not built properly. I know that a lot of people recommend using ARP rod bolts, and as with any turbo Honda, ARP head studs. There is nothing wrong with an LSVTEC, and given your situation it makes sense. There's a thread over on honda-tech with a lot of info on the specifics of things you'll need to do to keep it safe.

LSV-Turbo will be a whole lot of fun!

Quick Reply: New boost project. Two Options.